What to substitute egg flats with?

Petastic

The dubias are coming tomorrow, 500+. I have everything except the egg flats. And I don't think I'll be able to get any in for a couple more days or a week or so. The egg flats aren't required...right? A hiding place is though, so for the time being, what can I use inplace of the egg flats? I was thinking of some old cereal boxes and maybe an old bed sheet for the rest of them to hide in. I haven't had any roaches in more than 2 years, so some opinions would be appreciated. And fast, too. thanks. :)

The dubias are coming tomorrow, 500+. I have everything except the egg flats. And I don't think I'll be able to get any in for a couple more days or a week or so. The egg flats aren't required...right? A hiding place is though, so for the time being, what can I use inplace of the egg flats? I was thinking of some old cereal boxes and maybe an old bed sheet for the rest of them to hide in. I haven't had any roaches in more than 2 years, so some opinions would be appreciated. And fast, too. thanks. :)

In the past I have used the cup holders that they put your coffee or pop in at mcd's. You can buy them at sams and costco.

Rich

I use slabs or rolls of bark, which are both natural-looking and probably more edible. Cereal boxes or other cardboard would work, but be careful of corrugated since small nymphs could hide in that and accidentally be thrown out if it molds.

Seems like the roaches enjoy the bark so far. The order came with some egg crates so I think I'm good for hiding places!

Roaches almost always prefer vertical hides compared to horizontal ones. Not to mention the bark is likely easier to hold on to. :P

• 1 month later...

ask the produce guys in the supermarket for some apple/pear dividers. they are the same material as the eggflats just a different shape. they just get thrown in the bailer. i work for Albertsons and i see tons of these things every week, and have used them for years. free is always the way to go. next time ur shopping just ask for some for ur kids school project, u dont even have to explain that u keep roaches.