G. portentosa Photodump and Housing Males Together?

KitKatie329

Haha, well I'm expecting about 500 roaches soon here, so I'd say they do just fine! And this is why I'm now keeping the males and females separate!

This is probably a stupid question and just a mistake on my part, but I have a female who JUST gave birth and is now airing out a pretty far along ootheca, am I losing it or do they actually do crap like that?

Haha, well I'm expecting about 500 roaches soon here, so I'd say they do just fine! And this is why I'm now keeping the males and females separate!

This is probably a stupid question and just a mistake on my part, but I have a female who JUST gave birth and is now airing out a pretty far along ootheca, am I losing it or do they actually do crap like that?

I think they actually do crap like that.....

how hong ago did it give birth?

About a week ago, and I pulled her out of my breeding tank specifically, and in the female tank she was like, "Hey! Not so fast newbie, BAM! Ootheca"

Lol. I don't know if roaches have a cool down period to regenerate their nutrients between birthings or not, I'll assume if they are well fed and cared for they don't and will have one after another. My discoids are like that, babies, extended ootheca, babies, ect ect.

Wow, that's hardcore, I'm glad I have more than enough room to toss some bins in my closet! How complicated and legal is it to sell these? I know how to package them but how about shipping over state lines, etc? I know no Florida right? Do I need a license? I guess like a USDA license or something?

Wow, that's hardcore, I'm glad I have more than enough room to toss some bins in my closet! How complicated and legal is it to sell these? I know how to package them but how about shipping over state lines, etc? I know no Florida right? Do I need a license? I guess like a USDA license or something?

It's pretty easy to sell, no license needed, and no Florida like you said. Make sure to send a small overcount for deaths. Most full grown roaches sell for about $1 each. If you're just trying to get rid of them, lots of forum members can take them for the price of shipping (like me--I'll take any species, any time)

Hopes this helps. :D

Ooh so much awesome information! Thank you! I'm beginning to wonder how many cultures I can hide in my closet before my dad notices, I'm officially hooked and looking into a few different species to add to my collection. Yay!

It's best to be up front about it, that way you don't need to hide anything and can openly talk about it. Plus then people are more open to let more around.