Went Isopod hunting.. results

Psydeus565

I finally got a chance to poke around in the local canyon here in San Diego. Been wanting to go for some time but of course we all work to live. Anyhow, the reason I had to go out to the canyon to find these is all the spraying they do around here, didn't want to introduce any pesticides into my hisser tank. Here's the pictures of the results. I ended up filling the better part of a test tube with what I think are the giant canyon isopods. They're now happily roaming around their new home. I have several white and a couple orangeish ones to boot.

P2110813.jpg

P2110815.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

These ones are only local to CA I believe. If you're looking for any isopods in general though, it's good to look for someplace damp and dark. You will of course find lots of other critters in such places though, I happened upon a family of roaches and a spider while uprooting rocks. Rotting bark and rocks are good spots. These ones were under rocks in the bottom part of the canyon where water will drain through from time to time.

Are they safe to keep with your roaches or will the roaches eat them?Been wanting to get some for my normal hisser because i haerd they help clean the cage and i have about 1000 baby hissers right now..Oncesome grow up i'll be looking to sale.I got 20 adults 6 monthes ago for 23 dollars when they got here there were about 25 babies in the box.So since i have them in a huge area am kinda interested if it will be safe to put isopods in there.I haveabout most of them in a plastic 40 gallon store age bin and the rest in 2 ten gallons for my own enjoment.But i feel the need to clean up after them twice a day.

Wow? Clean-up 2x a day is brutal! I only really scoop out the top layer every few months at best. I've had no problems with the two species since they've been co-habitating for the past few months. Both have had babies and all are still alive and well. It does take a really long time for the isopods to get to their maximum size, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong... but I have yet to really go turning over the enclosure to look for them. If you want, try some out in one of the smaller enclosures for awhile. Just remember to get some from a place where you are sure there are no pesticides used.

yeah theres a whole lot of molting going on with the baby hissers.I have countless of them :D .I wish my tigers were doing this :angry: But my hisser babys are toi the point were am fixing to put them in 40 glaaon plastic bin and put like 20 egg crates and a food and water bowl.with some substrate.I like getting old skins and stuff out to kjeep from getting any unwanted bugs in there.The only thing am wondering about is how much ventalation do they really need as fair as putting them in there.Might order some isopods off the bugsincyberspace site i guess