Best thing about the roach hobby?

I've been perusing quite a few other invertebrate forums lately and I've got to say I think we have one of the most close-knit, well-informed communities out there. Sure, there aren't a lot of us, and we aren't posting every other day to say one of our pet hissers named Hissy decided to take a bite out of an apple slice instead of and orange, but we've got something good here. All I see on other forums is bickering back and forth about husbandry issues and irresponsible ownership; here, everybody's excited to see what the dull brown roach in somebody's yard molted out into. This board is really something special. :)

So what's your favorite thing about the roach hobby? (AKA, this forum. lol)

When I was a little girl my parents always taught me to treat all creatures with respect. We would raise butterflies from eggs and go out at night to see what kind of bugs would flock to the Oak trees smeared in jelly, and all kinds of other fun bug related activities. I was always fond of insects. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them about my hobby and I'm just so glad that there is a place I can come to share all the joys of this hobby with other people who respect it. There is such diversity even in this small subsection of insect species and I really feel like that is something special.

I really like it here as well. I like the way one could post about caring for their pet roaches, and about feeding them to something, all in the same place. I haven't noticed any members bashing others because of their practices, only friendly advice. I feel very comfortable about posting what is on my mind, without having trepidation about whether someone will write something nasty. B)

Roachforum is my extended family. :D

This is the only site that really gives me a feeling of community within our hobby. I'm a long time member of arachnoboards and yes, people post about roaches from time to time, but I never feel like there is a cockroach group over there like there are tarantulas and scorpions. Here it's pretty obvious what we enjoy and we are all doing our best to promote the hobby for everyone. Hence the only place I feel community within the hobby. It's a good feeling to know that we all share the common interest...because honestly all my friends and family think I'm insane for what I keep. :D

I have always been interested in bugs. As a kid my dad brought me my first wandering tarantula. I did not get into keeping inverts really hardcore until about 2003, that was when I became a member of spidertalk which is no longer around and then a member of arachnopets. My first experience with roaches was a feeder colony of N. cinerea which I was fascinated by. I began to keep hissers as pets and then moved into some more exotic species that never really did well for me. Harlequins, L. subcincta, and D. paulinoi never really worked for me. The hissers always did great. I got them just after the ATS conference in 2004 and that colony is still going. At one time I had over 50 different species of tarantulas and 350 slings of G. pulchripes, it got to be a chore to feed them and I enjoyed them less and less. I still have a few tarantulas and an emperor. My huge L. parahybana is sitting on a sac right now. I got tired of watching a tarantula sit in the same spot for two weeks. I just started to find roaches more interesting. This site is great and I come here first rather than any other. I have acquired about 20 different species of roaches over time and most of them were from people on this forum. Everyone here is great and I have recieved some great advice. To make a short story long :rolleyes:, what was the origional post again? Oh, I just love roaches and the hobby, they interest me, it is fairly inexpensive, and roaches are way cool.

Hans

yea, I dont get here that much, would like to, but time is little! I am on another forum a lot though, it needs me :lol:

But what I like most about the hobby, minus the fun little bugs, is at a resturant, when getting my food or usually upon leaving,

I tell the waitress in a nice loud voice " can I have a doggy bag for my roaches?" :lol: It's the best fun ever!

have to admit i'm not all that active and other forums any more in fact the only other forums i'm active on is Geckos Unlimited and AquariaCentral. so it's nice to have a small little forum dedicated to roaches, and it's nice to have a civilized discussion about roaches with people who understand them.

yea, I dont get here that much, would like to, but time is little! I am on another forum a lot though, it needs me :lol:

But what I like most about the hobby, minus the fun little bugs, is at a resturant, when getting my food or usually upon leaving,

I tell the waitress in a nice loud voice " can I have a doggy bag for my roaches?" :lol: It's the best fun ever!

:lol: That is too funny. My 5 year old daughter likes to speak loudly about roaches when we are in restaurants. It makes Grandpa real mad sometimes. She will be all like, "Can you cut the sandwich in rectangles so it looks like roach oothecae?"

Sometimes she will eat the food that is good for her if I tell her it is bug parts.
:o
Sometimes she wants to be a mantis and sometimes I get her to eat her veggies if I tell her that she will be strong like a Hisser, cause roaches love their fruits and veggies.
;)
My daughter refuses to admit that she is a Human most of the time.
:lol:

haha, dear me, a bug girl baby!

Also if you go out to breakfast or brunch and someone leaves fried taters and scrambled eggs on a plate, I always ask to take it home in a loud voice, it seems if you do that, they want to wait on you in a hurry in case u have roaches in your purse and they come running out! :D There are ways to get fast service!

My 5 year old daughter likes to speak loudly about roaches when we are in restaurants. She will be all like, "Can you cut the sandwich in rectangles so it looks like roach oothecae?"

This is just amazing. Sounds like me when I was little actually. Feelgood thread feels good!

I love my roaches for so many reasons: The ease of care, the colony thing with roaches not eating eachother if they are properly fed, every species seems to have an interesting behavoir (mating dances and fighting behavoir), it really doesn't cost me much money or time ( I probably spend too much time on them because I am used to others, like mantids that do well with daily care, and I just like to bug them :rolleyes: ), they feel delightful to me when I touch them. :wub:

I really didn't expect to admire them as much as I do but they all have different personalities, and I just love watching and studying their behavoirs. Even my feeder roaches are becoming hard to feed off.
:(