Fish Food...

Rolo

hey,

I was going to buy some fish food for my hissers today, but after getting to the shops they had tropical fish flakes and goldfish fish flakes, can either be used or is one better than the other?

The tropical one is: http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/product.asp?id=10905

The goldfish one is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UF6JK2/ref=asc_df_B003UF6JK22954807?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003UF6JK2

Does anyone else use this brand? Ive being using cat biscuits and cat wet food along with fruit veg and bread etc but they dont seem to touch the cat foods- I just want to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need! The same happened with dog food as well.

My brother also has some strawberry flavour whey protein, would that be ok to try as well occasionally?

Thanks!

Rolo.

Something tells me that you’re keeping your roaches at cool temperatures. 70-75

Roaches are a lot like monitor lizards they will eat anything if they are at high operating temperatures, now I am not saying put them at 135 degrees which is a monitor lizards optimal operating temperature, but allow them to get to 88 degrees or so.

In fact if you allow a temperature gradient and let the roaches choose what temperature they want to be at you would have a thriving colony in a matter of no time.

This can easily be accomplished by using a 25-15 watt light bulb as a heat source and place it on one edge of the cage VS the other being on the cool side.

This approach can be used for all ectotherms and even.

I have been experimenting with wet cat food for over five months with 4 species and notice nothing but great results and no need to water them. Just use a small spoon full.

Fish food is fine of any kind, the roaches love it, but it does get pricy after awhile.

Rolo.

Something tells me that you’re keeping your roaches at cool temperatures. 70-75

Roaches are a lot like monitor lizards they will eat anything if they are at high operating temperatures, now I am not saying put them at 135 degrees which is a monitor lizards optimal operating temperature, but allow them to get to 88 degrees or so.

In fact if you allow a temperature gradient and let the roaches choose what temperature they want to be at you would have a thriving colony in a matter of no time.

This can easily be accomplished by using a 25-15 watt light bulb as a heat source and place it on one edge of the cage VS the other being on the cool side.

This approach can be used for all ectotherms and even.

I have been experimenting with wet cat food for over five months with 4 species and notice nothing but great results and no need to water them. Just use a small spoon full.

Fish food is fine of any kind, the roaches love it, but it does get pricy after awhile.

Hi, thanks for replying!

I am still pretty new to this so im still learning! :D

I have been keeping them around 73-76 degs as on some sites it said that they will be fine and not breed at this temp (I was looking to have a few at first then maybe expand when more experienced). However they have been breeding- i have plenty of nymphs roaming (didnt see the birth unfortunantly)-they all seem to be fine and ive seen another roach with her ootheca a few days ago-so i guess that hasnt worked out well! haha Oh well, I look forward to having a few more!

I am using a heat mat and thermostat at the mo (with a substrate); its on one end of the tank so there is a gradient and i have a large peice of cork bark that goes all the way down the back of the tank so they can move up and down and not come out in the open if they dont want to & other hiding/climbing places, i have the food on the cooler end so it doesnt spoil as fast-as cat food stinks and they are in my room! They eat all the veg i give them; theres always a crowd at the dish, but meat-its like offering a veal at a vegan resteraunt!

Il raise up the temps and see what happens- will they become more active? they are pretty active now but will be even better if they roam a bit more. If anyone has more suggestions do tell! :)

Warmer is better for the hissers. Prefer low protein fish food doesn't mold or stink as much. Haven't tried this but have read threads about the artificial coloring actually changing the color of the roaches. Catfood does stink and it tastes bad but some roaches like it. Good luck :P

Hi, thanks for replying!

I am still pretty new to this so im still learning! :D

I have been keeping them around 73-76 degs as on some sites it said that they will be fine and not breed at this temp (I was looking to have a few at first then maybe expand when more experienced). However they have been breeding- i have plenty of nymphs roaming (didnt see the birth unfortunantly)-they all seem to be fine and ive seen another roach with her ootheca a few days ago-so i guess that hasnt worked out well! haha Oh well, I look forward to having a few more!

I am using a heat mat and thermostat at the mo (with a substrate); its on one end of the tank so there is a gradient and i have a large peice of cork bark that goes all the way down the back of the tank so they can move up and down and not come out in the open if they dont want to & other hiding/climbing places, i have the food on the cooler end so it doesnt spoil as fast-as cat food stinks and they are in my room! They eat all the veg i give them; theres always a crowd at the dish, but meat-its like offering a veal at a vegan resteraunt!

Il raise up the temps and see what happens- will they become more active? they are pretty active now but will be even better if they roam a bit more. If anyone has more suggestions do tell! :)

post-1625-0-76547000-1306094176_thumb.jpg

Alright sounds like a plan.

see if you can cover up some of the ventilation aswell, that will help with dehydration.

Use less and less food until you see that they eat just the right amount and its gone so that there is no moulding.