Need Help Roach Specie ID Please

I found these roaches on Island Garden City of Samal, Davao Del Norte, Philippines. Their habitat is a rainforest and near the waterfalls. They were hiding underneath a log when I found them. I only caught six of the nymphs because they ran too fast. Here are pictures of them. Thoughts and comments are welcome. Thank you!

I think only 3 have survived. One has molted yesterday into an adult with wings. Their sizes compared to a water bottle cap. The adult is less than an inch long. Nymph has molted to adult in less than 2 months.

IMG_0024.jpg

Nymph

IMG_0025.jpg

Adult

IMG_0026.jpg

Adult compared with my thumb. I haven't checked yet if this is a male or female. It's a beautiful roach with golden wings and specks of black. Adult can climb smooth surfaces while nymphs do not.

IMG_0028.jpg

Hey,

your roaches are members of the subfamily Epilamprinae. May a species with a dimorphism - because I have collected several species from the same family where the males was winged and the femal was wingless and looking like a nymph.

It is a difficult family to ID these on pictures. I believe it is impossble without a dissection of the internal genitalia. But first of all you have to try to establish these nice species in culture. But later I can try it, if you want.

best regards

Ingo

I live in Las Vegas, NV. Not trying to hijack the tread, but if you have any tips on how to find cool bugs please let me know!

I have a very effective and simple process for finding cool bugs:

1. Have no expectations

2. Go outside

3. Look around

That is all I generally do when I go out hiking or walking...and I find a lot of things. :) Nobody can tell you how to look for inverts, you just have to go outside and start and you will eventually find them.

I have no clue what species it is, but the fact that they are clear as nymphs is super cool. I hate living in the desert sometimes, to the best of my knowledge there's nothing cool out here.

Don't worry because there are other animals out there that are also cool like reptiles, herps, etc.

Good job hunting man.... Making me excited to go home for a vacation . That's a nice color hope those 3 will breed for you..

Thanks! Are you also a Filipino?

Hey,

your roaches are members of the subfamily Epilamprinae. May a species with a dimorphism - because I have collected several species from the same family where the males was winged and the femal was wingless and looking like a nymph.

It is a difficult family to ID these on pictures. I believe it is impossble without a dissection of the internal genitalia. But first of all you have to try to establish these nice species in culture. But later I can try it, if you want.

best regards

Ingo

Thanks Ingo. I have done some research about Epilamprinae sp. On this link http://tolweb.org/Epilamprinae/8303 the middle one looks similar but the protonum is different and it is oblong in shape unlike mine which is elongated. As for this one http://www.pbase.com...image/124679566 the color is dark while mine is light-medium.

Just going to take a random stab at this- Rhabdoblatta sp.?

Thanks also Zephyr! I have researched on Rhabdoblatta sp. and found a photo from a Tokyo website here it is http://tokyoinsects....shogokiburi.jpg

So guys which do you think is the closest match? Epilamprinae sp. or Rhabdoblatta sp.?

I will try to culture them and hopefully establish a colony after a year or so?rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Hey,

Epilamprinae is the subfamily

Rhabdoblatta is a genus enclosed into the subfamily

but it can be also an other genus (e. g. Homalopteryx)

cheers

Ingo

Thank you for the inputs. Now I get it. biggrin.gif

Thanks! Are you also a Filipino?

Yes, Kabayan ... Born in Nueva Ecija, Cenral Luzon

Kababayan! I'm on Davao City. cool.gif

• 3 months later...