shipping roaches?

I am not the person to give details on shipping roaches since I have only done it once. But here goes nothing

Get a prority mail box and some newspapers...you can use a delicup but if it a small climer species, tape the holes from the inside...use a pin to put holes all over top side and bottom of the container..donot use wet used eggcrates use dry tissue paper..rip it up and make a bedding for digger species or twist it and crinch it for climbing space for nondiggers. Take the news paper and pack it in a way that it will hold the delicup in place.

That is a good idea with the tissue paper/paper towel, I know when I get my deliveries, most use this method, with a little food like a cut up carrot for moister and eating. I have received my roaches in a box inside a box. The littler box packed with the roaches. I have no idea, how the guys get them in there tho! as soon as it is opened, they come out. Just watch the weather where you are shipping to and from, as I just had a super large order,(400) and they all arrived dead. Not anyone's fault but the postal service. They did not handle them right. My shipper was great and gave me credit for them, but it was very sad. Some will charge extra for a heat/cold pack. I think this helps a bit for awhile. The boxes from the post office are free.. so I grab a bunch whenever I am there. Not that I have mailed any roaches out yet, but I do hope to when I have some to sell! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some delivered inside the quart plastic containers (like what you get potato salad in at the deli) with holes all punched in it.. they had newspaper and a carrot with them, and newspaper packed all around the outside of the container, inside the box. That seemed to work very well also. Maybe that would work better for you! :)

• 2 years later...

I have not shipped roaches too many times but I think the principal is the same as in shipping mantis insects. IN the warmer months, the matter of ventilation is of prime importance as the insect needs an exchange of air. In the colder months when one is trying to make the package as warm as possible, a heat pack is a good thing, and again this will require ventilation holes. Obviously if the buyer agrees to the higher shipping cost, a mailing using Priority Service is the best. Most places in the U.S. can be reached with two days in the mail. This will lessen exposure to weather and poor handling. If one is mailing using 1st Class there will be some more exposure during the longer time in the mail. My experience is that the addition of some wadded tissue paper or less nice, wadded newspaper, will add insulation since a heat pack is too heavy for 1st Class. In the months when the weather is mild, a smaller package and less insulation is possible. I hope this helps the beginners.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not the person to give details on shipping roaches since I have only done it once. But here goes nothing

Get a prority mail box and some newspapers...you can use a delicup but if it a small climer species, tape the holes from the inside...use a pin to put holes all over top side and bottom of the container..donot use wet used eggcrates use dry tissue paper..rip it up and make a bedding for digger species or twist it and crinch it for climbing space for nondiggers. Take the news paper and pack it in a way that it will hold the delicup in place.

That's pretty much how we'd get them shipped to the pet store. Hand warmer heating pads in the winter too...