Another escape thread

vfox

I talked to zephyr about this a bit ago but without much in the way of success. I have a healthy colony of Periplaneta australasiae, probably one of my favorite roaches so far...but...their babies are ridiculous! I have a 4 inch thin to thick at the top Vaseline barrier and it keeps the adults down to 3-4 instar babies in check. However, the 1-2 instars can walk right over it and climb right out. I keep finding them in other tanks, they are harmless in doing so but it's still annoying. Does anyone have experience in keeping small light climbers in their enclosure without using a top rubber sealed bin? Mine are currently in a sterlite bin with hinged clips that go over the lid rim. The lids are tight and seemingly sealed with Vaseline, I'm at a loss.

Maybe those anti-escape product ppl use to keep ants? Kind of white powder in alcohol solution which you use to "paint" the edges, and leave a layer of white powder which not even ants can go through when dried.

best of luck to you. I keep mine just like Kyle, but I do miss being able to interact with them.

On the contrary, I think I interact with them quite often. They're very personable and come out to be watched, dropping in food is always a spectacle, and then of course several inevitably crawl on my arm when I'm doing tank maintenance or checking for babies. If that's not interaction I don't know what is. :P

I may try to track down some liquid Teflon. Otherwise it looks like I'll need to get a "food seal" type container as their new enclosure. I have a large pretzel container that may work, it's almost as big as their current container honestly...an the lid seals completely. It's probably similar to how Kyle keeps his Germans and brown banded. Btw Kyle, I'm looking forward to getting all your new Periplaneta cultures for my own collection. It's funny how the "pestier" species are the most interesting to me. :)

i have used the liquid Teflon in the past for hissers it works really well.the thing i liked about it was it was not messy like vaseline. i believe the brand i had was 'bug barrier' or 'bug stop'. just paint a 2 or 3 inch perimeter on the rim and it lasts for months as long as its not rubbed off with your arm or hand while doing tank maintenance.