Adjustments of individuals inside of the breeding cages ??

TiercelR

Hi, when you know that you need to do adjustments of the quantities of individuals inside of the breeder cages ??

I mean, how to know when you need to add more males or females ??

As example, you start hypothetically wit a radio of 5:1 of females:males, and so you start with around of 500 females and 100 males within the same bin.

But a few months after happened that many of the individuals had died inside the bin, and also has been eated by their own neighbours there. So you cannot know how much males or females had died because many of their corpses actually disappeared.

But anyway you are quite unable of to know how much breeder females or males were lost during all these few months because you cannot counting them each time you open this breeder bin.

And so, your initial radio of 5:1 has becomed actually disbalanced, and also the breeding potential of this bin actually is under its minimum.

But worst, in the real numbers actually you don´t know how much males or females you must add to the bin for to restore its right balance inside.

How must be fixed this issue ?? thanks in advance for your commentaries !!

if your breeder bin has hundreds of adults it would be way too time consuming to count each male and female, a quick survey is all that's needed. i wouldn't spent too much time worrying about the exact specific number of males to females in each bin. just pull a a few egg flats and see what you come up with. if there is a huge disproportion, add what you are lacking.

hmmm this is very hard to give a strait foward answer.

I would say you should just allow them to be roaches.

"it is very hard to control ratios with roaches this requires picking out by hand males or females."

Balance in my opinion is naturally mantained by just supporting them with food and water.

I have to say you must be one of the few roach hobbyist to think that hard about this "good on you for thinking outside of the box." You could ask the few roach breeders out there and see what they have to say. Aaron pauling comes to mind or gregsexotic inverts.

Most roach keepers don't really want to have to work control feeder roaches like crikets or locusts. unless you want to hand scoop the ooths "if they produce them" and shift those over to another bin and let them hatch and do this over weeks at a time.

if your breeder bin has hundreds of adults it would be way too time consuming to count each male and female, a quick survey is all that's needed. i wouldn't spent too much time worrying about the exact specific number of males to females in each bin. just pull a a few egg flats and see what you come up with. if there is a huge disproportion, add what you are lacking.

hmmm this is very hard to give a strait foward answer.

I would say you should just allow them to be roaches.

"it is very hard to control ratios with roaches this requires picking out by hand males or females."

Balance in my opinion is naturally mantained by just supporting them with food and water.

I have to say you must be one of the few roach hobbyist to think that hard about this "good on you for thinking outside of the box." You could ask the few roach breeders out there and see what they have to say. Aaron pauling comes to mind or gregsexotic inverts.

Most roach keepers don't really want to have to work control feeder roaches like crikets or locusts. unless you want to hand scoop the ooths "if they produce them" and shift those over to another bin and let them hatch and do this over weeks at a time.

For me, I don't count them, I just let them multiply in one bin.

Hi, many thanks to all you for your replies, regards !

• 5 months later...

If you want a controlled number of males and females you will have to count them at least once so you get yours numbers right. Once you have them in a bin and it is cleaning time you can count the dead to see what you need to add back in to keep your numbers the way you want it.