Arenivaga

What

Hi, I used to study Arenivaga in Florida. I would love to hear more about the roaches that you found on the beach in California. Can you describe more about the habitat/location where you found them? Did you find them in open sand or under leaf litter? If you ever have any dead males I would love to take a look at their genitalia. Thanks!

Can you describe more about the habitat/location where you found them? Did you find them in open sand or under leaf litter? If you ever have any dead males I would love to take a look at their genitalia. Thanks!

Both were found in the sand around a tree and next to a patch of iceplant(Carpobrotus edulis). The sand had a high organic matter content of about 50/50 leaves/bark/twigs/etc to sand. I havent found a male yet, I didnt even realize I had an Arenivaga sp. so close to me...was under the impression they were mostly desert dwellers and I have never heard of a coastal CA sp.

Just curious how big those are in your picture...

Small, the nymph is probably just over .25in and the female is around .5in, right around the same size as this one from AZ.

Edit: Also, after some further pondering I am revising my adult female thought to the roach being a nymph 1 molt shy of that.

Based on where I found Arenivaga in Florida, you should sift sand under light to moderate leaf litter at the edge of open sand. Around the base of grasses and bushes might be good. I always went collecting during the day - even the heat of the day in the middle of the summer in Florida. You might find them to be quite patchy. You shouldn't need to dig too deeply, probably a foot down at most. I found a number of males in the sand and leaf litter. Males will also fly to lights at night. You can keep an eye out on the vegetation during the day for males - I never found any this way but it has been reported in the literature. Happy hunting!