Koi fish pellets

recluse

I have always used a low cost dog food for my roaches source of protein. They eat it just fine with no problems. I decided to change their diet a bit and bought some koi fish pellets. I put them in two colonies to try them out. Anyone else use these.

I use game fish pellets as a part of my staple dry food mix. Some days the roaches will eat all of it, other days I have to pick it out of the substrate.

I couldn't find the game fish pellets. I will let you all know how the koi fish pellets work out.

I use Tetra Pond pond sticks and they are good, some species like them better than others, but all of my species will eat them. I like that they are very light and airy. Even the smallest of nymphs can bite into them easily, but a little pinch will powder them if you feel the need to. Many of the roaches will grab one and carry it off so they don't have to share, I guess that means they are tasty. ;) I like that they are so easy to chew that I don't need to crush them up. If they are not eaten for a while I can just pick them out of the roaches' containers. B) I bought the small 3.53oz container of them, just to try them out, but I am definitely going to get the big bag this weekend. :D

My roaches do not like the dog food that my dog eats(Kirkland signature adult dog food from Costco).:rolleyes: Maybe because it is not the inexpensive kind? I think it might be too hard. They won't even put a dent in it, even if I crush it up in a blender and mix in other good stuff. However, my dog likes it and my darkling beetles seem to prefer it over the pond sticks.

Just this week I bought some Omega One Pond Sticks and Tetra Pond Koi Growth sticks to try for variety. My Hissers do seem to eat them, but the other night I put out a pile of Tetra Flaked Fish Food, and a pile of each of the sticks: The next morning ALL the flakes were gone but most of the sticks were still there... They seem to prefer the flakes over all types of dog food and cat food that I have offered also. When I open the fish flakes container, my cat comes running and tries to eat them too - pushes my hand aside and sticks her face right in the container - what is in those flakes??? :lol: Maybe I should try them...

:lol:

Just this week I bought some Omega One Pond Sticks and Tetra Pond Koi Growth sticks to try for variety. My Hissers do seem to eat them, but the other night I put out a pile of Tetra Flaked Fish Food, and a pile of each of the sticks: The next morning ALL the flakes were gone but most of the sticks were still there... They seem to prefer the flakes over all types of dog food and cat food that I have offered also. When I open the fish flakes container, my cat comes running and tries to eat them too - pushes my hand aside and sticks her face right in the container - what is in those flakes??? :lol: Maybe I should try them...

Many of my insects also prefer the flakes but it would be expensive for me to feed them exclusively. Can they be bought in bulk?

I do give flakes as treats often cause they seem so valuable to the insects. I love the swarm response I get when I put flakes in. :lol: