Egg Crate Substitue..or Egg Crate Purchase..??

LoudSilence

I have been neglecting my Dubia (feeders) pretty bad until today. I just got done making some new enclosures for them and "separating" them as best as I could. I have them in three totes; babies, nymphs and adults. Because they were all in one tote together, I had a so-so amount of egg crates, but now that I have divided them, I realize I don't have nearly enough.

So, my questions;

1) Is there anything I can use other than egg crates until I am able to purchase them or come across some?

2) Does anyone know where I could buy some, other than my two-bit reptile show that comes to our city, once every month?

Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks

you could try egg/polutry suppliers,supermarkets)they throw them away anyway) or even places online like ebay for the egg flats/trays

regarding alternatives you could try normal egg boxes/rcardboard tubes..anything that provides hiding places really...

I just did a quick search on CraigsList and found someone selling 100 of them for $40.00. Is $0.40/crate a good/average price?

I did go to my local Bob Evans once, and asked the manager if they could save the ones they use and they looked at me like I was crazy, and never called me when she said she would. So I did try that approach once.

PB

Sometimes at printing places you can get the cardboard rolls they have at the end of their giant paper rolls. Usually they throw these out. I have used these, just beware.. they jam themselves in there like mad! It is hard to shake them out.. I think one of my rolls must have weighed 5 pounds! So now I cut a slit down it so I can open it a bit if I have to... silly roachies! But they sure love them!

Sometimes at printing places you can get the cardboard rolls they have at the end of their giant paper rolls. Usually they throw these out. I have used these, just beware.. they jam themselves in there like mad! It is hard to shake them out.. I think one of my rolls must have weighed 5 pounds! So now I cut a slit down it so I can open it a bit if I have to... silly roachies! But they sure love them!

:lol: Sometimes a roll o' roaches can weigh a lot. I guess they like to huddle together for safety. I like to pick up a roll and put my finger in there so some will come out without shaking. I feel bad for them if I shake them out of their rolls. :mellow:

I just bought some from eggboxes.com - 70 for $28.60 with free shipping which works out to 41 cents each. I agree that it would be cheaper to try and find a grocery store to save them for you. Basically there are two options: spend time or spend money. B)

I was able to "wheel and deal" a guy down on Craigslist, he wanted 40$ for 100 and I got him down a little bit to 36$ for 100. Not much but every penny adds up. I found some on EBAY too that I thought was a good price, until you add the 17.99$ for shipping, yuck. I'm going to call some local places around here and see if any restaurants can hook me up, but 100 will be just fine for a while while my colony grows.

I was able to "wheel and deal" a guy down on Craigslist, he wanted 40$ for 100 and I got him down a little bit to 36$ for 100. Not much but every penny adds up. I found some on EBAY too that I thought was a good price, until you add the 17.99$ for shipping, yuck. I'm going to call some local places around here and see if any restaurants can hook me up, but 100 will be just fine for a while while my colony grows.

For those of you who have ordered yours, what was the shipping like? I looked at a couple of places.and they quoted like 20 dollars as their most basic.

I found some on EBAY and they wanted 17.99$ for regular shipping, between 2-10 days to get to you.

However, if you were a baller, and paid 40.00$ it would get to you shockingly quick, between 2-5 days, hah. Rip off.

For those of you who have ordered yours, what was the shipping like? I looked at a couple of places.and they quoted like 20 dollars as their most basic.

At eggboxes.com there was no extra shipping charge.

• 6 months later...

I've always just saved my toilet paper rolls and fast food drink carriers. Its enviromentaly healthy and easy on the wallet. Anytime my friends, family members or myself get fast food I make sure to get a drink carrier and just put them in a big stack until I need them. They work just as well if not BETTER than egg cartons and I feel good knowing I'm keeping them out of a landfill.