dubias not breeding

jojo1977

i have had my dubias for about 4/6 weeks now at first the females kept dropping there egg sacks i figuered out they were to cold. So now i have upped the temp and have had a few babies but i have alot of females and the ratio is about 1male to 2females so what else can i do

I keep my bin as dry as possible, except some damped moss at one corner, and some water crystal at the opposite corner. I spray the moss to a point that they will dry out in about a day and respray everyday while I was catching a few for my geckos, I only give them a few water crystals every few days, they eat them like chocolate. The bin is very warm, not sure the temp, but i have my computer placed at the section below the bin, and it is hot. Just leave them alone, and you'll have more dubia than you know what to do in no time, well... not really no time, maybe a month or 2 if you have enough adults, say a few dozens?

Yup.. warm temps, a little spray now and then, and best left alone. They love almost any type of food, but I usually give mine grated apple and grated carrot. Leaf Lettuce really is a big hit too and it seems to turn them into little love machines.. ;) Mine also have TONS of hiding places, and I use a few sheets of paper towel that I keep sprayed, like every other day.. clumped up on the top. It seems the little ones like to hide in that, and they are easy pickings then for my little geckos that love them so much. Good luck. Patience is probably the biggest thing! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine breed better with substrate. Right now they have an inch or so of plain clay cat litter, then maple leaves, then egg crates. For heat I have an old reptile heat rock that gets very hot. I feed oranges and whatever other fruit I have along with dry oatmeal mixed with powdered milk. I have a ratio of 1:4 males to females. I do nothing for humidity, but I don't have very much ventilation either, so it doesn't get dry or anything. They are breeding better than ever.