How have cockroaches changed your life?

next week i am getting more hissers, lobster roaches, and blaberus craniifer all for FREE!!!! im so excited! im also grateful because i get to get to get out of school so i can educate elementary school students about the roach stigma and how its not all true!

Where are all these opportunities coming from? I'm jealous :D

Where are all these opportunities coming from? I'm jealous :D

gotta find the right people! just met her and she has a 75 gallon fish tank full of hissers, lobsters, and craniifer. shes sending (what she bought) a HUGE box full. i think the dimensions are 30 in long 10 in wide and 12 in high.. nearly as long as my dragons terrarium! i cant wait. she said she is shipping on monday!! ill start a new thread and hopefully when they start producing ill have some for sale!!

The fear may come from past experiences. I was way too little to remember, but the apartment we lived in when I was a year old had a serious roach infestation. My mother gets the creeps now from my roaches and I don't push the issue with her. I can only imagine what she had to deal with (she's a clean freak by nature) and I think they remind her of bad times. My husband actually had a roach stuck in his ear when he was in college down in Florida, so it took me four years into talking him into letting me have roaches in the house. He's absolutely fine with the big guys, but anything that looks like a classic "roach" gives him the heeby-jeebies, and I can't really blame him for what he went though!

I never saw a roach in person until I was 22, but saw them in some pictures and such and thought they were so beautiful. Then when I finally lived with German, the worst thing they did was foul my food and dishes a little. Big deal. They would crawl up my leg and tickle and it was so cute! Have you tried to get your parents to look at the cute, wavy antennae? I don't see how people can miss that and think they're repulsive looking! Also their pretty color varieties and usually gentle disposition. Stressing these factors should soften people up.

I started after animals before I could walk. Insects, spiders, toads, whatever a baby could grab. I moved to Hawaii when I was 4, and was able to catch geckos, anoles, and of course roaches. I got a male, and female roach in a kritter cage, and they had babies. I was quite fascinated, but I quickly realized they were kind of everywhere. So I stopped keeping them. At least until I needed something better than crickets in my late teens. So I started a dubia colony. I found them so interesting that they rekindled my love of roaches.

That's why I got mine! I wanted a quiet, smell-free, non-demanding pet that I could secretly keep at uni and hissers turned out to be absolutely ideal!

I'm also a big, soppy crazy and my roaches have names, 'Matilda' was my original female, and then she was joined by 'Shanty' and 'Smaug the Magnificent'.

Hey, if you're going to name roaches... name them properly! xD

Cute names. Where did you get the names, may I ask? I named quite a few of my Germans. First there was Twictchy, Goldy, and Squiggly. Twitchy because of what they do with their antennae. Goldy was a little lighter brown. Squiggly slipped out of my hands a few times when I first caught him/her. Lucky I named as a counter to the hatred of the public toward them. Chrissy I caught just before Christmas. Tutti after a girl I know named Tutti Roche. Amber and Alice after bug girls I've known. I also owned 3 hissers. Takana was the girl. Naoshi and Monocco the boys. Their exotic species so I gave exotic names.

I started after animals before I could walk. Insects, spiders, toads, whatever a baby could grab. I moved to Hawaii when I was 4, and was able to catch geckos, anoles, and of course roaches. I got a male, and female roach in a kritter cage, and they had babies. I was quite fascinated, but I quickly realized they were kind of everywhere. So I stopped keeping them. At least until I needed something better than crickets in my late teens. So I started a dubia colony. I found them so interesting that they rekindled my love of roaches.

Nice story. Did you read mine above? What did you do with the roaches you stopped keeping? I've seen pictures of Dubia and they're beautiful. Have fun.

someone i finally can relate to! haha. well my story is that when i was 11 i got really bored because all we had was a dog that was way to energetic for me. so i went on craigslist (which i now know wasnt right since my parents didnt know about it) and bought some dubias. i didnt want many but the guy that i got them from gave me 12. i only wanted 8. i was so scared because they were the biggest things id ever seen and i was afraid to touch them! eventually they all died off because i forgot about them. when i got my pacman frog the crickets that i fed him kept escaping. my mom and dad got sick of it so i thought about it and gave them an offer of dubias. i didnt call them roaches because they would have said no right away. so i called them beetles. we went to a reptile store that sold different species(twin cities reptiles for you guys in Minnesota!) and asked for a ratio of 1 male to 5 females.. they gave me 7 males and 5 females.. i was P.Oed but we went to a reptile show and i asked around and found a vendor. i asked how much i could get for $20. he said i could take as many as i wanted because it was the last day of the show. before i could even think about it he grabbed a XXL deli cup you use for selling large geckos or something like that, and he filled it as much as he could! i was sooo grateful for that guy! he gave me 5 males, 40 females, and 125 nymphs all randomly. i now have dubia, Madagascar hissers, and turkistan roaches. next week i am getting more hissers, lobster roaches, and blaberus craniifer all for FREE!!!! im so excited! im also grateful because i get to get to get out of school so i can educate elementary school students about the roach stigma and how its not all true!

Did you get over your fear of touching them?

Nice story. Did you read mine above? What did you do with the roaches you stopped keeping? I've seen pictures of Dubia and they're beautiful. Have fun.

Yeah, I read every post in this thread. I liked that you named german roaches, but I will never like that species. Well maybe never is too harsh. I lived in a house with a bad infestation for a while as a teen. I must have let the roaches I was keeping go free. I didn't have any chams at the time.

Yeah, I read every post in this thread. I liked that you named german roaches, but I will never like that species. Well maybe never is too harsh. I lived in a house with a bad infestation for a while as a teen. I must have let the roaches I was keeping go free. I didn't have any chams at the time.

I like German as well as any roaches for their cute wavy antennae and German's lite brown color. Plus the fact that eveyone's after them. They can be a pest, but I feel it's worth it. I've also had Blaberus Discoid, but their were too many to name. I'm glad you let them go. Good for you. Are you still in Hawaii? What kind of species are there?