Giant Hissers

Posted by recluse on 12/13/2004, 10:29 am

mailto:jjseamen@msn.com

I am supposed to be getting 6 adult GIANT Giant Hissers. Can anyone tell me how these differ from regular G. portentosa. I assume they are a morph. When they say they are bigger how much bigger are they?

Posted by Roachfreak101 on 12/13/2004, 2:11 pm, in reply to "Giant Hissers"

mailto:roachfreak101@roachdomain.com

True giant hissers and normal hissers are quite easy to tell apart.

First the giants are anywhere from 20-40% larger (longer and wider) than normal hissers, and whereas normal hisser males have bumps for horns, giants have points on they're horns, and the area between the horns on the giants is hollow and depressed, (making the horns look that much longer) (which they are!) where on the normals this area if more filled in.

Also the front edge of the pronotum on giants is more flared and curled back.

Also where normal hissers are usually quite variable in color, giants usually are a dark orange to medium brown in color.

Hope this helps.

Link: RoachDomain.com

Posted by MantidsAssassins on 12/14/2004, 7:05 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

mailto:mantidsassassins(remove)@yahoo.com

The hissers known as giants are a line/stock of G.portentosa that throw some males which are incredibly impressive. There are two minor problems:

1. size is variable and all giants aren't always giant, however, even the largest normal hisser can't compare to a decent giant.

2. While a number of people including roachfreak have actual giant stock, I have seen at least one person trying to sell normal hissers as giants.

Posted by recluse on 12/14/2004, 4:45 pm, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Well guys, these definitely look like Roachfreak explained. I have 2 males and 4 very fat females. The lady wanted 10bucks a piece i traded her a juvie female H. maculata. Thanks for responding

Posted by Grant Galas on 12/27/2004, 4:00 pm, in reply to "Giant Hissers"

mailto:grant@thehissingroach.com

Giant Hissers are just another marketing strategy. They are nothing more than a regular Hisser that has an extra molt and therfore grows just a bit more and becomes more defined in its look. You will get a few of them per every couple hundred Hissers. We call them Super Males. They are more docile than other Hissers. They are the only ones that have a potential to bite you. I would consider them great breeders but havent had the time to put them and other large females together to make a large healthy colony.

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20050305125844/...ssingroach.com/

Posted by Roachfreak101 on 1/1/2005, 11:21 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

I do not agree.

Giant hissers are not a marketing strategy, they are a genetic morph, and i find it hard and neigh impossible to belive that a nomal hissers

appearance can change that much with an extra molt or two.

Grow a bit more?

Giant hissers are almost twice the size of normal hisser.

They are quite a bit differant looking than normal hissers.

While i suppose that all insects have the ability to bite, i have never been bitten by a cochroach of any species, although i have been stabbed in the finger on occasion by their spiny legs.

RoachFreak101

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20050308230237/...oachdomain.com/

Posted by mantidsassassins on 1/1/2005, 7:49 pm, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Grant, many people on this board have seen giant hisser stock in real life, but apparently you have not.

Also, no hissers go through an extra molt. If you have a few decent size ones they're just bigger -- a supernumary molt isn't possible.

Posted by Grant on 1/13/2005, 4:22 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Im going to have to disagree with you. I have seen an average size Hisser molt one more time and become a super male. They weigh about 14+ grams were as a normal would come in at 10 grams tops. Also, Im sure I have seen everything when it comes to Hissers considering im one of the top 3 roach websites on the internet today.

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20050326182251/...ssingroach.com/

Posted by mantidsassassins on 1/13/2005, 9:50 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Cockroaches molt a set number of times, check the literature. You have not isolated hissers and checked the number of molts. Keep in mind that whether or not you have seen/believe there is a 'giant hisser' is completely a different issue from trying to create the myth of a supernumary molt.

What do you think are the top 5 roach sites and what do you use to decide which is in the top 5? (it should be based on something quantifiable rather than imagination).

Posted by RoachFreak101 on 1/14/2005, 4:27 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Ok then i will have to disagree with your disagreement.

Don't belive him folks! His term "super male" is just a "marketing strategy".

I love it when people slap any ole name on a above average sized normal male hissing roach so they can sell it for a higher price, geez kinda sounds like a "marketing strategy"!

Its obvious that you either have never seen a true giant hisser or have never had one, else you would see the obvious differance.

Obviously you have'nt seen quite enough roaches.

Posted by Grant on 1/14/2005, 3:32 pm, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

LOL. Your right, I just havent seen one before I guess. I only have seen 10's of thousands of adult hissers and have never seen a "Giant Hisser". You got me. You win!

Link: The Internet's best resorce for Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches!!!

Posted by RoachFreak101 on 1/17/2005, 9:13 pm, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Really? I did'nt know you liked those!

I heard that bill baxter got some of those in a shipment.

I will give him a call to see if he still has them, he also has Rhadoblatta yayeyamana.

Posted by MantidsAssassins on 1/21/2005, 11:25 pm, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

I wonder how many people understand the irony that I was jokingly referring to My 'longipennis' ha ha ha, whereas there really is a Megaloblatta longipennis which I think may mean the same thing in Latin, except about the roach. Still, I am serious I would love to get M.longipennis as it is supposed to be the world's longest roach and it has been realistically impossible to get.

Posted by MantidsAssassins on 1/22/2005, 5:55 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

I have a few rhino roaches that are supposed to be a big bulky species (though not as long as B.giganteus) making them the heaviest/thickest, but I also have giant hisser stock which are the same size (not as much because the giant hissers are that big but the adult rhino male isn't nearly so impressive as I heard). So in the end it's what you end up with. Are the M.longipennis really a little longer than B.giganteus?

Posted by Digby Rigby on 1/25/2005, 11:58 am, in reply to "Re: Giant Hissers"

Megaloblatta are small bodied and large winged. They can have a wing span of 8 inches! I found a picure of them on the web there are at least 3 species of megaloblatta.

Digby Rigby

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20050305125940/...ticfeeders.com/