Fruit and Veg

lynnem

Hi Guys...

Got 11 wide horn hissing cockroaches the other day and i loveee them!!

Have been feeding them daily due to the heat and humidity, but have been wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of what fruit and veg they can and cannot eat... as im creating a feed sheet so everyone in the house knows what to feed them..

Is there any thing fruit and veg wise that they cannot eat??

Thanks

Lynne

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys...

Got 11 wide horn hissing cockroaches the other day and i loveee them!!

Have been feeding them daily due to the heat and humidity, but have been wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of what fruit and veg they can and cannot eat... as im creating a feed sheet so everyone in the house knows what to feed them..

Is there any thing fruit and veg wise that they cannot eat??

Thanks

Lynne

From my readings, they should NOT eats would be

- Anything with cooking or vegetable oil on it.

- Anything that hasn't been rinsed off.

- And maybe preservatives.

- I've fed very leafy vegetables. Like unground up spinach? and stuff my wife puts in her salads that she thinks of throwing away. They don't like it as much, and it can sit in there and get moist or soggy like, and lose figure and I feared it would turn to mold since they barely nibbled on it. So I threw it away.

I've fed (with no bulk of deaths)

- Oranges, grape fruit, and anything that looks like the two, and sometimes they even eat the inner parts of the peel.

- Bananas... Even if it's mushy or bruised. They'll swarm bananas. It's nasty. But it'll be gone before a few hours.

- Mango and all different types of apples. I once bought apples for myself, they were very dry or unsweet tasting, I just starting cutting them in half and throwing them in the bin. Usually I eat most of the apple, then throw the core in there. Sometimes 2 cores a day. When they're done with it, they'll leave a marble sized star shaped core that'll be all dried out. It won't rot, but it just adds to the amount of waste with all the frass (as do the seeds I think)

- Potatoes, carrots, zucchini and cucumber

I pretty much stick to apples, mangos, and oranges at the moment. I throw other stuff in as we don't eat it and are about to throw it out.

I buy whatever is cheapest. Like once I found apples on sale, they were like 10 cents each. I bought like 2-3 bags. At a bunch myself, and gave them the cores. Don't see many deals like this though.