Enclosure Inspiration?

Landy Tomiln

I am a soon-to-be new roach owner of L. subcincta and B. craniifer couples. And it would be fabulous if members could share pictures of their enclosures with me! so I can get an idea of what I can do to utilize my roach space.

• 2 weeks later...

Very romantic enclosure with bottom-heating!

sisserhuisje.jpg

Absolutely stunning! Is it like a desk ornament?

My giant Panclhora enclosure...I know, I know, it's just a jar...a 3.6 gallon jar! The plant hanging from the corkscrew willow branch is one of the three forms of spanish moss I keep...they do not eat it...yet: \

bugjar004-1.jpg

bugjar003.jpg

My giant Panclhora enclosure...I know, I know, it's just a jar...a 3.6 gallon jar! The plant hanging from the corkscrew willow branch is one of the three forms of spanish moss I keep...they do not eat it...yet: \

I love the branch idea. Fun and arboreal.

I thought it might be a nice setup for panchlora, they're said to sometimes inhabit low lying shrubbery etc. In many of the places they exist in the wild they are very likely seeking refuge in different types of spanish moss. I do have to watch it doesn't get too soggy, I've been known to drain it with airline tubing (with a plastic airstone on the end to prevent clogs) when it looks too soggy. Usually a good misting once or twice a week keeps the humidity where it should be. I also (quietly) remove the screen top and fan fresh air into the jar 2-3 times a day. I've been tossing around a few ideas for better ventilation...I may use a very small pc fan, this may be the easiest solution.

The coffee cup in the pic is one of those ridiculously oversized ones that actually holds 2 regular cups. The viv next to it (housing my G. lurida and H. tenebricosa) is 12" X 12" X 18" the jar is 19" tall and approx 11" wide, it holds 3 imperial gallons, thats almost 3 & 3/4 US gallons.

bestbugjarever004.jpg

Substrate in both enclosures consist's of different layers/mixtures of (these are somewhat in order, mostly gravel in the bottom, mostly moss/leaves etc on top) heavy sand/light gravel, coco fiber, peat moss, crumbling pieces of oak, slightly less rotten oak, acorn shells, oak leaves crumbled and whole, long fibered sphagnum moss, all but the very bottom layer is quite fluffy & loose...there is also a rather large population of springtails & red/orange isopods. I've not seen one bit of mold in either enclosure pictured...despite the fact I place food directly on the substrate...

All collected oak etc, was microwaved before use to kill any nasties.

p.s. the light was only used for the purpose of photography, they normally only get indirect light from the window.

That substrate sounds phenomenal. I just have coconut fiber down there right now. But I know they would enjoy a higher variety of organic matter.

I couldn't get a good pic without disturbing them again...but atm there is a small cube of melon in the bug jar..there are so many springtails on it it looks like a gum drop :lol: