Gecko feces for food

Shipi

Dear Roachkeepers,

I have 2 leopard geckos [Eublepharis macularius] and an idea just popped up in my mind. Why I don't give their feces to the roaches? I searched on the forum for some information about gecko feces diet but I can found nothing. So I raise an issue. Can I give them to my species? You can see the list in my signature.

I heard that roaches love feces but I'm not sure about gecko feces.

Thanks!

Zoltan

I wonder where you "heard" roaches love feces. Actually I also have 2 Leopard Geckos, and sometimes the roaches (Dubia and Turkish) manage to got out of the food bowl, but I have never seen them eating gecko feces.

at work we we have a colony of lobster roaches and i tend to feed them left over food from the bearded dragons there. now some time the beardes will poop in there food bowl and i will just toss the poop along with any uneaten food in with the roaches and yess thay do eat it. but i am the only one that feeds the roaches at work and i'm only there like two days of the week so usually thay are starving, also we don't use these roaches as feeder we just sort of have them (i have sold maybe like 10 of them in the last 2 years). i probably wouldn't do it to be honest as there really is no reason to do it.

Well, some sp. Of roaches do live in guano and there are many animal that eat there own or others poo. This would be to extract nutriance that wasn't absorbed the first time around and may be useful in supplying gut fauna. If the geckos are healthy than there will be no problems, but if the geckos have some thing, cryptosporidium for example, it could be passed to other reptiles that consume the roaches. Basicly if it was me and I had the gecko for a real long time I'd probable feed the feces to the roaches though there are risks. What I do right now is throw some small roaches and/or isopods in with the geckos with a lot of hidding spots the roaches in the cage will help eat up the stool and when they get big enough for the geckos to notice them they get eaten.