Hisser Baby Photos

He's finally up and moving around a bit, and he stayed out long enough the other night for me to go and get my camera and come back to snap a few pics and I so want to share them! He's taken to hiding in a cracked-off branch right next to where his momma sits all day. So cute! I'm so excited that he's doing well and growing quickly. As far as I can tell he is the only one to have made it, which makes him that much more special to me. :) He's just over 5 weeks old.

hisserbaby.jpg

hisserbaby2.jpg

hisserbaby3.jpg

hisserbaby4.jpg

I got a good photo of his rear as he was climbing around. He is a male, right? :)

hisserbabymale.jpg

(Please don't yell at me.) The parents are most likely hybrids. I bought them second hand from a pet store and I can't find photos that look like either parent. I'm thinking they must be an oblongata cross. The adults are both huge - the female is twice the size of the portentosa females I've seen in person, and the male is much broader. I'm intrigued to see what the baby will look like. The little one has some great striping going on and I don't know if that is just nymph coloration or a hint of what he'll look like full grown.

This is the happy couple if anyone has any idea on species:

hissersfeb.jpg

hismalehead-1.jpg

hisfemalehead-1.jpg

(Please don't yell at me.) The parents are most likely hybrids. I bought them second hand from a pet store and I can't find photos that look like either parent. I'm thinking they must be an oblongata cross. The adults are both huge - the female is twice the size of the portentosa females I've seen in person, and the male is much broader.

I think I accidently produced hybrids between oblongonatas and portentosas myself but I doubt I'll ever really know for sure. I feel terrible, but it's not like I'm breeding them to sell - they are just pets.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get over how fast he's growing! And how all three of them are always in the same spot. I think it's so cute. :) (Dad is in the top photo as well - you can see his antenna sticking out of the leaf over mom's head. :lol: )

familyportrait.jpg

growingfast.jpg

I think I accidently produced hybrids between oblongonatas and portentosas myself but I doubt I'll ever really know for sure. I feel terrible, but it's not like I'm breeding them to sell - they are just pets.

My hisser colony is also a hybrid of portentosa/oblongonatas. I acquired four oblongonatas from a person who got them from Roach freak 101 back in the day but I was unable to positively identify them and tossed them in with my portentosa colony. They are def. a hybrid now.

Wodesorel, it looks like you have a very nice enclosure made with great care. Do you have a picture that shows the whole thing? Is it a 10-gallon? That is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me - making enclosures I think the roaches will like.

• 1 month later...

Since there was only the one, it's been easy and rather nice to be able to watch him grow up and track his progress. :)

He's really looking amazing lately! He isn't very big yet - maybe an inch and a half long. Only about a quarter of the mass of his mom and dad so far. How long does it take for hissers to generally reach full size?

hisserbabybigger2.jpg

hisserbabydark.jpg

hisserbabybigger.jpg

Now, when I see these pictures about adults and the little survival I think I have the same hybrids as you. My males are very huge and they have massive horns. The nymphs have very variated "shoulders" [white, brown, black spots] and the gravids have different colors.

Here is the most beautiful male that I have. He is so reddish. (:

male663.jpg

• 3 months later...

People seem to frown on hybrids, but really, if your buying from a pet store, chances are you should worry about buying sick stock rather than if they are hybrids, whether feeder or pet, genetics dont matter at all if you think about it from a pet store! Online stock, mabye, but most people dont have a business selling hybrids lol. And unless you can track years and years of breeding, how do you really know with hissers your stock is pure from all those years, chances are it probably isnt after a generation or two offspring will look pure again if you add good stock. If they are sold as pets I dont think the buyer cares if they have a hybrid, they just want a healthy roach, and possibly one that is nice looking to spark their interest!

I see hybrid hissers all the time at pet stores, because the plain portensia hissers are so oversold people are getting bored with them and not buying. A LPS by me is breeding p. vanwaerebecki black and white with g oblongonata. They want bigger, more colorful stock, and with those two as hybrids, you know there will be some badass looking roaches created! I am going to buy some because quite frankly they just look cool and I support a much needed change in pet hissers!

• 6 months later...

Now, when I see these pictures about adults and the little survival I think I have the same hybrids as you. My males are very huge and they have massive horns. The nymphs have very variated "shoulders" [white, brown, black spots] and the gravids have different colors.

Here is the most beautiful male that I have. He is so reddish. (:

male663.jpg

I think that male is a Aeluropoda insignis.

And yes,it´s a very beautiful roach.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

(Please don't yell at me.) The parents are most likely hybrids. I bought them second hand from a pet store and I can't find photos that look like either parent. I'm thinking they must be an oblongata cross. The adults are both huge - the female is twice the size of the portentosa females I've seen in person, and the male is much broader. I'm intrigued to see what the baby will look like. The little one has some great striping going on and I don't know if that is just nymph coloration or a hint of what he'll look like full grown.

This is the happy couple if anyone has any idea on species:

hissersfeb.jpg

hismalehead-1.jpg

hisfemalehead-1.jpg

The female looks like pure P vanwaerebecki, there are various morphs like black + white and big black, all originating back to original P vanwaerebecki and if you look online your female looks identical to originals. The male looks like a hybrid.