Bad Hisser Nymph Molts?

This isn't the only one who looks this ragged - I've seen a few of the little ones looking this rough. :( About a third of them are growing perfectly and are big and shiny, about a third are growing a bit slower but still look good, and the last third are looking rough around the edges like this guy. Any ideas of what I could be doing to prevent this? These are the probable hybrids, so it may be bad genetics that's causing it, but I wanted to ask before I started to think about culling any (or all) of them.

hisserbabybadmolt1.jpg

I think it looks like bad molt. Any way you could seperate the few and put them in a different tank with higher humidity? I find reptile bark as substrate misted once a day with a spray bottle has provided excellent humidity for shedding. The roaches will burrow in the substrate so put a thin amount in and mabye small wood decor for them to climb. And lots of fruits and veggies like bananas, apples, and romaine lettuce as well as cat or dog kibble moistened,.

I don't know if you live in the US like I do, but if it's not much trouble and you don't want the nymphs I'd be happy to adopt them if you could ship them to me. I have a huge 20 gallon with only a few dubia, plenty of room for some hisser's I'd love to try my magic to save them and get them healthy!

Since they are likely hybrids, I don't plan on doing anything with them yet so they don't pollute proper hisser lines by accident. Their older brother is just gorgeous right now, and their mother is a seriously large hisser, so I'm curious about their genetics and mainly want to see what they look like as adults. At that point they may end up as lizard fodder, or I might separate them out by gender and move them out of my hot room to prevent more breeding. It's pure curiosity, but I want to be as safe as possible while experimenting! :)

30 gallon tank is 85% humidity and gets misted once a day. Temp is between 82 and 85. They get a good diet of veggies and fruits, and a dog food mix with oatmeal. Several inches of peat moss substrate, wood, leaves, live plants. Mom, Dad, Older brother, and all the other little ones from this brood (maybe 20-35 or so). Probably easier to show you. :)

tankhisserhy.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any update on the ones with bad molts? I'm starting my own hisser breeding now trying to breed one that is huge and colorful. :) Ive got a large male and 2 large females that are pregnant and they got huge within 2 weeks!

Best I can tell they either passed away or it sorted itself out in subsequent molts. I went through and checked them all a few weeks ago and they all looked normal. :) (And big!)

Do you ever lose nymphs in the soil or do you dig them out every few weeks to check on them? I use repti bark but every few weeks I do a full tank cleaning and check in my roaches health and make sure everyone is fat and healthy.

I pulled all the ones over an inch that were above ground as I gave some to a friend of mine and I wanted to know how many of the second generation there were so I didn't give her too many and leave none to reproduce here. I never bother counting them otherwise, and since it's planted I don't bother digging any out that might be buried so as not to disturb the plants. The original momma roach is getting on in years and is looking really rough these days (both antenna are gone, so are most of her feet) so I try to limit what I have to do in there for her sake and mainly just go in for food and water changes every couple of days.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I bred hybrid hissers, so far I found one born like this but mines body isn't as bad as this one. I has trouble finding food but can crawl around slowly.

I have been feeding it baby food to make sure it eats, well see if it molts and fixes itself.

I'm not sure if genetics caused this, or if this one was at the end of the ootheca and was squished during development causing body deformity.