Everglades/Keys Exploration

I'm going to the Keys for my birthday on the 21st, and am hoping to catch some banana roaches and other species. Any tips on optimizing my success? Best places to look, best time to search, etc.? :) I know they're drawn to light and fruit. I'm also hoping to grab some more skunk roaches, which I have found mainly in leaf litter around trees and on or around the trunks of trees at night. I'm super excited. :D Thanks for any tips!

I never knew it was legal to take animals from the Everglades?

I figured an invasive species of insect is different? Esp. since I'm not leaving the state. I was mostly thinking the Keys area.

I live right on the edge of the Everglades in Ft Lauderdale. Its a little hard to find cockroaches in The everglades this time of the year. I've had better luck finding cockroaches north of the everglades, In Cypress Creek National park, And in parks close to the beach all around south Florida.

At this time of year ( Summer ) I wouldn't do any roach or reptile hunting in the Everglades, There are clouds of mosquitos, Humidity is 100% and temps are in the mid to high 90's. :blink:

You'll have more luck finding roaches in any park close to the beach. ( Around Jupiter, Key Biscayne, Key largo, etc ). If you want local Green bananas or Skunk roaches just let me know I have plenty and can share :)

Good luck on your trip and happy Birthday!

If you have any questions while you are here just let me know

Oh you guys are lucky, I love the warm states I live in NY and there just isn't any natural areas to explore for a nature lover like me it's boring here.

I'd love to visit Florida or California one day!

Try rotting palm/other tree trunks.

Although paying gekkocorner a visit doesn't sound like a bad idea! XD

I suggest you go now!! winter is pretty dead here in FL but summer is fun. The rains will drive insects up the trees and to the tips of palms. PS its illegal to collect anything in the everglades.

PPS yes the gnats are thick the skeeters can stick you thru jeans and the horse flys will pick you up and take you away.

If you go to the keys just flip every thing you see. And look in the base of trees. Dig in rich leafy soil, the real sandy stuff has one species thats endemic to the keys but has eluded me evey time i went.

Good luck and congrats!!

Thanks guys :) Part of the thrill is catching them myself, though I do typically catch and release since I don't want to introduce them to my colony in case they have insecticide or something on them. I'm just mainly out to get photos at this point :) I do think we'll be spending more time in Key Largo, since I've only gotten to see they Keys at night!

Hahaha your kidding right Keith? I live in ny too and there are tons of beautiful parks to catch bugs/insects, newts, salamanders, turtles, frogs, toads, tadpoles, snakes...etc

Long Island, NY and in my area it's not very beautiful or natural at all. :(

• 11 months later...

Hahaha your kidding right Keith? I live in ny too and there are tons of beautiful parks to catch bugs/insects, newts, salamanders, turtles, frogs, toads, tadpoles, snakes...etc

It's true we have a lot of different bugs here in New York in terms of ants, bees, etc. However, normally the only cockroaches you see in the wild are German, at least in central NY where I live. Maybe an occasional Pennsylvania wood will venture up a state. I'm sure the only exotic you'll find in New York state are in people's collections.

I'm going to the Keys for my birthday on the 21st, and am hoping to catch some banana roaches and other species. Any tips on optimizing my success? Best places to look, best time to search, etc.? smile.gif I know they're drawn to light and fruit. I'm also hoping to grab some more skunk roaches, which I have found mainly in leaf litter around trees and on or around the trunks of trees at night. I'm super excited. biggrin.gif Thanks for any tips!

It's almost a year since your trip. How did you make out?