The Pefect Feeder Roach?

Ozymandias

ok i've been constantly looking for a good feeder species for a while and was talking to a guy on a gecko forum about orange heads and there use as feeders and he mentioned that he would love to find a roach that in his words "was a non-climber large species with the size of dubia but also the reproductive rate and activity of lats or lobsters that would be the perfect roach."

currently i'm keeping Eurycotis floridana (Florida Skunk Roach) for the fun of it and to see if my tokay will eat them once my colony is big enough. i love there size and movement especially for animals that need that quick move ment to stimulate there feeding response. no i was thinking are there any species of Eurycotis that don't climb smooth and are thay a similar size to the skunk roaches?

How about blatta orientalis?

There is a strain that does not climb. But heres a trick with breeding them. Give them heat in the form of a low wattage bulb close to them. that way you have a high temperature gradient. keeping them cool slows them down and slows breeding.

Shelfordella lateralis work wonders. I find they and Periplaneta sp. are a favorite with a lot of my reptiles and other insectivores.

*Edit- Blaberus discoidalis are a bit bigger than dubia but they breed very quickly. It's easy to get a gigantic colony going in under 6 months.

lol sorry i was just think of the perfect feeder roach, lat are good but i'm convinced by this point there is ether strain being sold that is cold resistant (or a completely different species being sold as them) because i've heard a number of people who clame that thay have breed in there house for them especially with last winter being so freaky. the discoid along with the dubia (and most other feeder like them) are good but if you have an animal that doesn't respond to something that hunker down after a while there just not as useful. it was why i was wondering if there is a non climbing species of Eurycotis because thay have a really good size to them and are really active.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...