Diurnal Cockroaches?

Out of the ones I currently keep, Pacific beetle mimics are by far the most day-active. However, most hisser species and adult question marks have acted pretty diurnal. My banana roaches have stayed buried all day, only coming out at night.

My Question Marks and Dominos are the most day-active species of all the ones I have. They are like little wind-up toys. :D The Egyptian Sand roaches are also surprisingly active during the day. The adult hissers (minus the Halloween) also don't give two hoots about what time of day it is as long as it's not bright in the room, but all they do is sit there looking awesome. (But it's only the full adults who stay out for all of those species - the nymphs are always hiding anytime there is any light in the room.)

Hello all,

i was wondering if there are any diurnal cockroaches in the hobby? i would like something i can actually watch move around :D

Very Respectfully,

NavyDT

The best is Polyzosteria mitchelli- I would like have it.

post-2517-0-87865000-1343865839_thumb.jpg

See, i have some normal hissers and i have the wide horned veriety, and they only hide all day... maybe i should take out the egg cartons? last time i did all they did was dig into the substrate.... anyone selling any pacific beetle mimics?

I second the Therea domino and question marks. I've got a mess of adult domino roaches at the moment and they are out day and night. I opened the bin today and a few males were going nuts trying to climb out.

It does help to make roaches more day-visible by minimizing the places that various species have to hide in the cage. I have some branches in my skunk roach cage, for example and no egg crates. The vertical options may help some roaches molt, though I've actually seen very large skunk roach nymphs molt right off the plastic tank wall. I've got a photo to prove it, but it's buried in a folder somewhere too deep. It's pretty impressive that any roach could do this! Since this species doesn't burrow at any stage of the life cycle (discounting oothecae), they sort of count as diurnal. In similar set-ups, other non-burrowing species can be defined similarly. These include ornate velvet roaches and zebras.