Small Dubia-like roach?

Filosofine

Hi guys.

I was wondering if you could help me find the perfect feeder roach for my reptiles :)

I would love it if they were small, maybe like Blatta Lateralis. But I need them to NOT be that fast running and not to be able to crawl out of a box with no lid.

Also to be happy living in the dark. So basically, a small Dubia :P (And no, not just baby-Dubias :lol: )

If they could live on egg boxes and reproduce quickly, that would be a big plus, but not a requirement :)

In advance, thank you very much.

Best regards

Jeanette

Denmark

Yeah, sorry, it seems to be a tenancy of the smaller roaches to almost always be glass-climbing. I can think of lots of good small feeders, but all of them can climb. Really, your best bet would be baby dubias or discoids, or make an effort to contain either N. cinera or P. surinamensis (both being climbers). I don't know how many you need for feeding purposes, but you could probably get a good number of P. surinamensis in a plastic cheese ball jar, that has an airtight lid, which would effectively prevent escapes.

Good luck finding your feeder.

Yeah, sorry, it seems to be a tenancy of the smaller roaches to almost always be glass-climbing. I can think of lots of good small feeders, but all of them can climb. Really, your best bet would be baby dubias or discoids, or make an effort to contain either N. cinera or P. surinamensis (both being climbers). I don't know how many you need for feeding purposes, but you could probably get a good number of P. surinamensis in a plastic cheese ball jar, that has an airtight lid, which would effectively prevent escapes.

Good luck finding your feeder.

Thank you very much for your reply :)

My biggest concern is that if they can climb glass, they can escape the terrariums my reptiles live in :unsure:

Is there really only Dubia and discoids that can not climb glass? :(

I have Dubia, I just wish to have more species to use.

Thank you very much for your reply :)

My biggest concern is that if they can climb glass, they can escape the terrariums my reptiles live in :unsure:

Is there really only Dubia and discoids that can not climb glass? :(

I have Dubia, I just wish to have more species to use.

Sorry, pretty much the only widely-available non-climbers you have are members of the genera Blaberus, Eublaberus, Byrsotria , and Blaptica, all of which are rather large roaches. Well, there are also various sand roaches, which are small and non-climbers, but they breed and mature so slowly that using them as feeders would just be impossible.

What all are you feeding? Many animals can be tong fed, which would prevent feeders from being left in the enclosures and possibly escaping.

Sorry, pretty much the only widely-available non-climbers you have are members of the genera Blaberus, Eublaberus, Byrsotria , and Blaptica, all of which are rather large roaches. Well, there are also various sand roaches, which are small and non-climbers, but they breed and mature so slowly that using them as feeders would just be impossible.

What all are you feeding? Many animals can be tong fed, which would prevent feeders from being left in the enclosures and possibly escaping.

Thank you again very much for your reply :D

I'm sorry to hear that, I really hoped I could find one.

I have a pair of frilled dragons, they don't eat by hand/tong. My Lawsons and my Veiled Chameleon do eat by hand, but it would have to be a very slow species like Dubia, for me to handle it.

It's okay if it was a large roach, I could just use the babies like I do with Dubia :)

I have had Panchlora Sp. Giant and Blatta Lateralis, but unfurtunatly not good feederroaches for me. Especially B. Lateralis, it was much to fast :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...