Parcoblatta sp? wood roaches

cfreidsma

Hi everyone :)

I spent over an hour digging through a rotting (birch?) tree. I found a large black spider, and eight or so wood roaches.

DSC02366.jpg

DSC02367.jpg

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

I also brought back some of the birch wood from where I found them home. I am going to bake it or put it on the grill or something.

I am wanting to start a colony of these, I bought a one gallon critter keeper for now. And if the colony grows quite a bit I will get something bigger. What all do I need to do with these care wise to start a colony and have healthy roaches?

I gave them a piece of cat food like I feed the rest of my inverts, and they are all piled on it eating it viciously. So I will be feeding them assorted dry foods and possibly some fruit. Along with a piece of a cuttle bone for calcium.

And I want to make sure I ID-ed them correctly or if anyone knows the species exactly.

Does anyone know if these have to have a cold period?

I am talking with Kyle (zephyr) about them through email, it is starting to get cold outside so I want to make sure I do this right.

I would think room temp is fine. I don't think you have to bake the wood that's usually for domestic animals, since these are from the wild I would not bake the wood. They do love the cat or dog kibble and fruit as treats.

Got a reply from Zephyr, and it turns out that they may stop growing and die out if they don't get a cold period :( I live in a mobile home so it will be fun to find a place cold enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I was informed by Orin that they do not need a cold period with their experience. So I am just going to keep them indoors and see how they do :)

• 11 months later...

Hi. I'm wondering how your Wood Roaches are doing? I would like to start a colony but there seems to be conflicting information as to how to do it. Anyway I have a couple of questions for you or any of you Wood Roach enthusiasts uot there. Do they need reasonably high humidity, and would moist coconut fibre be okay as substrate?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mixed colony of parcoblatta species. (wood roach) 4 or 5 types. They are breeding and thriving wonderful . I keep them in a sealed container with aspen shaving bedding, water gels, roach chow and fruit or veg once a week. I heat my roach room at 85 to 90° f. Daytime. And 70 to 75° f. Nighttime.