Anyone know about Archiblatta hoeveni?

Gsc

Does anyone know anything about Archiblatta hoeveni? I have only seen pics on one roach website... check out the pics (they are the 1st ones on the list):

http://www.minizoo.donetsk.ua/Roaches.html

I'm guessing that they have made it into the hands of a few european breeders...any ideas on when we may see them in the US? I love the long legs!!!!

Graham

As far as I can research it, two soviets, a polish guy, and possibly a guy in Denmark have them in very limited numbers. None for sale or trade, yet.

I have kept Archiblatta hoeveni, although not very successfully - the nymphs and adult females I had soon died! However, my friend Ian Abercrombie, has been very successful with keeping and breeding this spectacular species and has written a detailed article about how did it which will be published in issue 2 of the Blattodea Culture Group's full color journal Cockroach Studies, which is currently in press. For more information see http://www.blattodea-culture-group.org/node/801 and http://www.blattodea-culture-group.org/node/1181

Photos of an adult female and an ootheca can be viewed on my online catalogue of world cockroaches. To see them go here http://blattodea.speciesfile.org/Common/ed...chForTaxon.aspx, enter "hoeveni" in the "Name of taxon box", click Submit and then click the photo thumbnails.

Note that Ian no longer keeps this species, and as far as I know, no-one else in the UK has any either at the moment.

George Beccaloni

(Deputy Editor of Cockroach Studies)

Archiblatta hoeveni? This is one species I would love to see in U.S. collections, mine in particular! I think it is a beautiful bug to be sure. If anyone ever imports them I would want to be first on thier customer list...!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question:

Have you had them long enough for any to molt? If so, did any molt wrong or harden off before fully out of its old skin? Did you find a way around this problem? The most difficulty with this species seems to be getting mis-shapen after a "bad molt", even with places to hang from...

:(:angry::angry:

How big are the adults in millimeters???

P.S. Great new photos. Any big enough for the calendar?

Rumor has it that they get to be 70 mm long..... so how long are the ones in these photos ??

:huh:

• 1 year later...

Congrats, maybe you can spread them around a little!

• 4 months later...

I would pay almost ANY PRICE for some of these. Isn't anyone NOT going to be stengy with information/clues? I would love to know where to get them, how to get them, and how to care for them, so that I could breed them and help make them more easily accessible for EVERYONE in the hobby! :( They are so beautiful, my favorite cockroaches by far. (I'm serious about the ANY PRICE, too.....)

They are illegal to import into the USA from Japan, very unfortunately. When some were available a while back, they ran about $300 US each, though I knew of someone who paid $70 Euro each a couple years ago. They are probably harder to find than any other roach ever in the hobby and can be exceptionally difficult to keep. Not recommended for a beginner or intermediate hobbiest in my opnion...

They are illegal to import into the USA from Japan, very unfortunately. When some were available a while back, they ran about $300 US each, though I knew of someone who paid $70 Euro each a couple years ago. They are probably harder to find than any other roach ever in the hobby and can be exceptionally difficult to keep. Not recommended for a beginner or intermediate hobbiest in my opnion...

Well, I'm not a beginner personally... I was always curious how it would be any more difficult for an "intermediate" to keep difficult insects than someone more experienced, it seems like if a person stuck to the right schedules for humidity, feeding, temp, lighting, and whatever else that they would have just as much of a chance at succeeding as anyone else? I haven't kept any especially difficult roaches before, but I have kept and bred other touchy inverts. I'm not going to give up hope! :P

• Like 1

• 3 years later...