Oxyhaloa deusta care and breeding

Greetings,

I have a small colony of Oxyhaloa deusta, that is really just getting started. However, I had a wonderful surprise this morning, and found many, many nymphs amongst the leaf litter which covers their substrate.

My setup is as follows; Substrate:sand(about a centimeter deep); hiding places: Large snail shell, and mango leaves; Food: carrot, moist dog food, lettuce, and cucumber; Climbing: a large dry leaf base of Strelitzia nicolai.

This far it seems to be working very well. I mist the tank once a day, and replace their food every second day. Other than that I pretty much leave them to themselves.

But, I was thinking that I could possibly glean some extra information from those experienced in the species. So, what does everyone else do with theirs to get the greatest yields? Substrate types, cage size, foods, the works. What works best for you, and how well do they breed?

Sincerely,

JV

• 3 months later...

I'm very sorry. Things have been so busy on this side, I've actually had to downscale. I currently do not own any invertebrates. I think I have some photos on the computer, though. I will see if I can find them.

I just got 100 of these in recently , wow these are a lot of drama.... these will climb over Vaseline and duct tape , not to mention they really search for every knook , cranny and crack. I would have one or two nymphs escape somehow through the day and I had to keep tweeking and experimenting sealing the container tightly. Even then, I'm hoping there will be no escapees. But these are a nice looking roach never the less. JohananV , how did you keep your duesta in their enclosure ?

Hi Bamboo,

These are a terrific species, but I would agree that they are terrible escape artists. Don't tell my grandmother, but I still have some stowaways in my room. They seemed to escape less when they had plenty of hiding places. I kept them on the pet bedding, that you use for rodents, and they seemed to be just fine with that. they would hide in it, and come out to eat.

The only way, in my experience, to keep all of them in their enclosure, is to get a enclosure that seals, and make a lot of pin-sized holes for aeration.

Hope this helps,

JV

• 7 years later...

Good day. Not a breeder. But i live in Johannesburg and found one of these cockroaches dead where my geyser is(hadn't been there for more than a few days since i checked it less than a week prior to discovering it). Are these species capable of infestation such as known pest species or is finding only 1 dead one not reason for alarm. Thank you