Best reptile for population control

Briene

Several mated adult females of Sphodromantis. Hehe. They eat a lot, maybe over 4 adult Lobster Roaches a day? I would not be surprised if they could eat 8 a day haha. Actually....I think it is good for a mated adult female Sphodromantis to eat as much as they can but maybe in some cases not, like when the crickets make the mantis sick.

Edit: Actually 8 does seem a lot.

Edit: Oh! Sorry. You mean reptiles. Eastern Box Turtle? The more you feed them the more they poop.....

I'm surprised your nile monitor doesn't like them more; I have a savannah monitor and the reason I got him was to keep my roach numbers in check. He eats them day and night; any species. He will eat 20 or more subadult B. craniifer sized roaches a day if I let him and he's only half-grown. Savs are supposed to have a diet primarily of grasshoppers, walkingsticks, mantids, and presumably roaches in the wild as opposed to vertebrate prey so that might be why he's so keen on eating them.

The nile should eat them better over time they can be kinda nervous eaters sometimes. Any of african grassland monitors (sav,black or white throat) will eat anything anytime its in there nature to binge or a couple big beardies if you dont want another giant lizard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised your nile monitor doesn't like them more; I have a savannah monitor and the reason I got him was to keep my roach numbers in check. He eats them day and night; any species. He will eat 20 or more subadult B. craniifer sized roaches a day if I let him and he's only half-grown. Savs are supposed to have a diet primarily of grasshoppers, walkingsticks, mantids, and presumably roaches in the wild as opposed to vertebrate prey so that might be why he's so keen on eating them.

My nile monitor doesn't seem to have a taste for much ....he hasn't grown as much as he should have by now. He's still quite small. I was betting on a parasite but his stool is fine. He's eatting has proper heat and lighting. Maybe I just got a dwarf lol!