Surinam roaches

Zander

I'm getting a roach colony started for a bearded dragon breeding project and I might need more roaches and I came across the surinam roach, but I couldn't find much information on them them so far. So does anyone know how often they lay ootheca, about how many babies are in each one, and how long until they mature? Also, what is the best way to keep them from escaping their bin?

Thanks, Zander

Pycnoscelus surinamensis are an established invasive species in South Florida and don't lay oothecae. They are a parthenogenic species where they are invasive so they don't need any males in order to reproduce. They are difficult to contain for some hobbyists and can be found uninvited in other roach colonies. These roaches need to be kept in a container that is sealed, and ventilated with many tiny pinprick holes.

I can't really say how many nymphs can come from each brood and how often they are born, only that they can reproduce quickly and are very hungry. They are small, like to burrow, and can climb well. The can be difficult feeders if one doesn't welcome any escaped roaches.

They can also be a pest in potted plants.

Otherwise, they are a great little pet roach for me. Just not a good choice for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep them, but I don't sell them due to their pest status. I use them as feeders for things. It takes like 20 adults to fill a bearded dragon's stomach and even then my pair would probably keep chowing on them for another 20 worth. I agree. Too small. But one thing I have learned through keeping dragons. There is never enough food! Our male never really developed a taste for greens and neither of them will accept any of the dried pellet type food. I've purchased many kinds of dried food from the pet stores over the years and it all ends up in the roach tanks because the beardies won't even look at it.

• 1 month later...

well that just crossed them off my list of species to own lol

we breed bearded dragons your going to want larger species Dubia are best we also use orangeheads,turks (red runners),and madgascar hissing roaches

turks breed very fast and the babies are steller for getting baby dragons to eat out of the incubator,also the adults are a nice snack for juvies and adults

Dubia kinda obvious lol

orangeheads they breed a little slower but bigger nymphs are insanly meaty and great to fill adult dragons

hissers not the greatest cause they climb (climbing species are not the greatest to feed unless you dont mind finding them all over lol)

you can also try discoids but they are a little harder to find

• 7 years later...
Guest newbies jack pot

so i am really new to this and it's been a process of trying and learning I've been finding them around my neighborhood just searching some nights I get lucky some nights not so much sometimes I get dull sometimes just a straight black one but I have to just tell you guys because I feel you guys be the most excited for me that tonight I hit the jackpot I found little ones big ones and so many adults and I'm so excited to try and get everything set up I just have a few questions like do I need to put water in there cage like killing someone just help me get a step-by-step with I know that the answers are on here and I'm reading them as best I could but I really just need like someone to step by step me cuz with this many I really do not want to mess anything up i will try and get a picture later

Guest newbies jack pot

so i am really new to this and it's been a process of trying and learning i haves been finding them around thes area wheres i lives just searching some nights I get lucky some nights not so much sometimes I get dull sometimes just a straight black one but I have to just tell you guys because I feel you guys be the most excited for me that tonight I hit the jackpot I found little ones big ones and so many adults and I'm so excited to try and get everything set up I just have a few questions like do I need to put water in there cage like killing someone just help me get a step-by-step with I know that the answers are on here and I'm reading them as best I could but I really just need like someone to step by step me cuz with this many I really do not want to mess any thing up i will try and get a picture later

On 8/16/2020 at 8:30 PM, Guest newbies jack pot said:

so i am really new to this and it's been a process of trying and learning i haves been finding them around thes area wheres i lives just searching some nights I get lucky some nights not so much sometimes I get dull sometimes just a straight black one but I have to just tell you guys because I feel you guys be the most excited for me that tonight I hit the jackpot I found little ones big ones and so many adults and I'm so excited to try and get everything set up I just have a few questions like do I need to put water in there cage like killing someone just help me get a step-by-step with I know that the answers are on here and I'm reading them as best I could but I really just need like someone to step by step me cuz with this many I really do not want to mess any thing up i will try and get a picture later

Just keep them in a container filled with a few inches of substrate, (coconut fiber works great), and keep it moist, either by pouring small amounts of water on the substrate or by misting it with a spray bottle. No water bowls are needed if the substrate is moist and they are fed fresh fruits or veggies every so often, and they may in fact drown in a water dish. Feed them every couple days to once a week, keep them warm, and that's it, they're one of the least demanding roaches to care for ever, take a while to get breeding, but once they do you won't be able to get them to stop... 😂