Roaches (and other insects) for human consumption

Hi all,

One interesting hung about me is I believe that us Americans should include insects as part of our diets. As you all probably know, insects:

Are higher sources of protein than other food sources

Are better for the environment

Take up less space

Are easy to propagate

So what species could potentially be used? Out of the roaches, I think blatta lateralis would be best, followed by black soldier fly larvae ( which I believe would be best, and are amazing decomposes) and mealworms (chiten is fiber, people!). What do you all think?

many other country's eat insects. I have tried some an they are not bad but i wouldn't call it my fav food lol. Mealworms aren't that bad fried with a little sugar. Some places cook tarantulas but i couldn't do it just because i own a few and would feel bad lol. I ate a Hisser on a dare, didn't really have a taste to it but the legs made my gums bleed. I think people should have a open mind to food in general. Just because its different to us dost make it bad ya know?

As far as a roach for food i agree with Blatta Lats just because of the nutritional value

I was thinking of that, and their ease of production. Maybe lobsters would be better though...

Although I was considering laboratory strains of American roaches as decent meals because they reproduce so quickly, but they would be unmarketable and because of their prickly legs.

Just because you CAN eat insects doesn't mean that everyone will like the taste. I've eaten a cricket and it was ok but had a weird taste, and seeing how feeder crickets smell bad probably had something to do with it. Seconds is worrying about parasites or germs insects probably have to be cooked a certain way to be safe to eat.

Me and my oldest used to what bizzar foods all the time. In asia they use crickets like crutons in salads. A fella here was injecting hissers with teriyaki sauce and grilling them. He ate scorpions several times, supoused to taste like crawdads or lobsters.

i wonder if there would be a way to soften or dissolve the chiten to solve the prickly leg issue. Like a vingar or simaler acid.

I'm a vegitarian so i wouldn't be eating these guys anyways though i would seriously rather eat some termites and stuff than go back to traditional american meat.

I'd pick a larger species and fry it to a crisp so it's nice and crunchy. 'Limbing' might be necessary also.

Yes, I've thought about this. To win a bet, I once ate a dead one off a dog kennel floor. When in Thailand, I saw them cooked and in their natural, animated state but did not partake. Looking back on it, I probably should have because I don't think I could have gotten any sicker than I did.

• 2 months later...

OMG!! People eat scorpions and tarantulas?! How could it be known they don't have venom and if they do whether it could be safely drained out somehow? Crazy.

OMG!! People eat scorpions and tarantulas?! How could it be known they don't have venom and if they do whether it could be safely drained out somehow? Crazy.

Look up Andrew Zimmern bizarre foods, its a tv show. This guy eats ANYTHING it's crazy!

Look up Andrew Zimmern bizarre foods, its a tv show. This guy eats ANYTHING it's crazy!

Yeah and I have another crazy story. A few years ago, a counsellor I have told me he was watching a show called "How People Die". It told of a man who had pet Black Widow spiders. The man tried playing with one and it bit him. The craziest part, instead of going to the hospital, he just went to bed!! As you can imagine, he died. Oh, and he let all his critters loose in between. Anyone who says you and I are crazy having pet roaches, our defense can be look at these whakos!

Venom can be safely eaten as long as you don't have ulcers. Venom needs to make it into your blood and/or lymph system and it can not through your GI tract. That's the difference between venom and poison.

Though its my understanding that viper venom is unpleasent anyways

Bear Grylls eating an Weta:

Put in youtube " Man vs. Wild - Bear Eats an Exotic Bug "

I can´t post the link...this site doesn´t allow it.

Bear says that eating it tastes realy bad....and everyone knows what this guy has eaten in allow of his shows !

• 2 weeks later...