artificial insemination for hybridization is crazy ?

RaZias

I would like to do hybrids (...ok I always had that mad scientist spirit...) so I was thinking if artificial insemination would be possible...

I would have to extract the male roach sperm with a syringe and inject it on the female.

(...I can´t belive I have written this...)

Sorry for posting the most stupid post ever but I really like this concept for hybridization.

Is this possible ?

This is an article about artificial insemination on bees:

http://eprints2008.l...2)_p135-150.pdf

dn18674-5_500.jpg

artificial_insemination_of_a_queen_honeybee_g352200.jpg

I doubt the average person even if given the right tools could do it, you need such steady hands and I think shock is involved and do it wrong you'll kill the insect. Plus it would be like a drop so tiny how would you store it?

• 2 weeks later...

I think its awesome that you came up with this idea! I met my pet hissers at a brain expo at Marshall University. I fell in love with pet roaches and entomology in general. I believe there is much to be gained by their study. What other ideas do you have about your pet roaches?

I think its awesome that you came up with this idea! I met my pet hissers at a brain expo at Marshall University. I fell in love with pet roaches and entomology in general. I believe there is much to be gained by their study. What other ideas do you have about your pet roaches?

---------- Idea 1: record and play "hissings"

Another idea I have is to record the several "hiss" and then try to put an isolated roach next to a sound device playing those sounds and see what happens.

A simple mobile phone can record and play it.

I will see if I will do this this month.

--------------- Idea 2: hisser maternity

Pick a few roachs (that will be like 1 month old) and put them in a micro-vivarium with everything they need.

Practically they will be always on the food because the container will very small.

Will this decrease the deaths (they won´t be attacked by adults) ?

Or will this show that they need to be with adults to live ?

This will show if the "food zone" should be in a "neutral territory"....my actual "food zone" is deep inside the adult´s hidding zone...should I put it outside so the baby won´t be attacked when it wants to eat ?...he passes all the time away from them...

------------- Idea 3: tracking a hisser

It would be cool to glue a tracking device (with fast epoxy...never with superglue since it´s toxic for the eyes) to an adult roach (in nymphs it could perturbe the molt).

All mouvments would be recorded and feeded to a computer so I could have a 3D map of it´s mouvements.

You would know when they feed, near who they prefer to stay with...etc...they day/night rythms.

There must be a cheap way to track...but I am no engineer.

----------- This is a PDF about "tracking insects"

http://www.biodivers...NAL_AMENDED.pdf

----------- A site about tracking "dragon flies"

http://news.bbc.co.u...ure/4759615.stm

"Each transmitter weighed about a third of a gram and had enough battery life to track an individual for 10 days; but tagging such small creatures is far from easy.

"The challenge is first catching the dragonfly," said Professor Wilcove.

Once caught, each transmitter was attached with a couple of drops of superglue and some eye-lash adhesive."

--------- A site about tracking ants:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/707861.html

I only have 3 hissers and the never hiss unless I touch them. I would like them to breed but they are still nymphs. If I record a hiss from them being touched and play it back to them then I could see what they do? And I thought all roaches at least with G. portentosa that they could all live together at all stages and the adults would not attack the nymphs. I would love any research you have done about them. I'm reading Gross Internal Anatomy of the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Gromphadorhina portentosa by DAILEY, PATRICK J and GRAVES, ROBERT C. I got it from Marshall University down in their archives. It is an awesomely detailed article about the MHC. I just love the research.

• 6 months later...

You are talking really steady hands for AI.. I have done it myself on much larger animals and anything smaller than a cow involves steady hands and a very good perception of anatomy of both the male and female. In theory you would be able to cross animals that are seperated by behavior or anatomical barriers. practice is a whole lot different. Before widespread use of DNA genotyping one of the ways to tell how closely animals were related was to inseminate an egg in a petri dish with hamster sperm.We never got any monkey/hamsters or even mice/ hamsters from this but it helped to tell how closely related animals are. Colubrid snakes such as corn an

End king snakes will cross readily if you fool them into mating but I don't think anyone does AI in reptiles even. Plant your feet on the group d but keep reaching for the stars. Good luck

N