Heat-mat on a plastic container...is it ok ?

RaZias

I have a plastic container and I want to use a heat-mat / heat-pad for Hissers.

Questions:

1 - Can I use a "heat-mat / heat-pad" on a plastic container ? (I think 30 ºC won´t burn it)

2 - Do you know stories of a "heat-mat /heat-pad" that catched fire ?

3 - What "heat-mat / heat-pad" mark do you prefer ?

I use three inch heat tape and 4watt zoo-med heat pads on sterilite tubs and critter keepers without thermastats without any problems you just have to make sure there is a little air flow around the heating element and it shouldnt overheat

I use a 12 meter heat cable to heat a few tanks... That's plastic boxes (fauna box) and I've no matter with it ;)

Where do you place the heat cable ? Inside ? Outside (below the box) ? What mark they are ? Do you use a thermo-stat ?

I have a metro rack so there is open space between everything. I wouldn't reccomend using any sort of heat mechanism with a regular book shelf or any kind of enclosed rack system. Seems that is where fires erupt lol. I have a run of heat tape through the whole thing. On some of my species and snakes and such that need more heat I use zoo med heat pads. They are in rubber maid plastic tubs and other various types of plastic tubs......always keep an eye on that crap

• 1 month later...

I use flex watt heat tape on my plastic shelving unit with a thermo-stat for all my roaches and reptiles that are kept in

sterilite tubs. I use a different strip for each shelf because if I don't want to use the ones with the hissers I can just unplug those strips, yet still keep my geckos enclosure at optimum temp.