The Best Barriers ?

Bamboo

Hello , I'm new to this forum , just joined a few days ago and finally got approved as membership .. Anyways , I'm getting Red Runners and a few other climbing roaches this coming week. I've got the 50 gallon Sterilite Containers all ready with screen ventilation and lots of egg crates. I've made my " roach jello " food today with lots of veggies and a few fruits. My main question is, " what is the absolute best, most effective barrier to put on the upper portion of each container to prevent any escapes from " climbing " roach species ? I've used packing tape before with crickets , it seemed to work as long as i kept the tape very clean , wiped down each week. Would packing tape work ? Or does anyone else have suggestions ? Thanks for all your help in advance !

Wouldn't the roaches stick to the tape, and get injured there? I use an old-fashioned strip of vaseline, the little buggers always slide back down.

no , the sticky part of the tape is taped on the container boarding the inside .. the top side is very smooth and slick .. problem with Vaseline is , within 2 months it melts off ESP in summer heat of over 80F ...I used Vaseline back in the late 90s with hissers and Giant Cave Roaches. it's just a sticky mess to clean up and reapply and im a semi lazy hobbyst so I want to do things very practical and easy.

Shelfordella Laterlis can only climb if the surface isnt smooth we have ours in 3 56qt sterlite bins with no problems.

for them you can use packing tape vaseline doesnt stop them (or atleast didnt stop ours lol)

most other climbers the vaseline will stop (every now and then you get one that can climb usually a smaller nymph)

we havnt tried the teflon tape we only keep two species that climb and the vaseline works fine (2-3inch thin layer,and keep clean)

Sounds promising !!! is that a brand ? where can I get it ?

Teflon is not a brand, it´s a material. Check it on wikipedia.

It´s the material with less friction in the planet (not even ice on ice slides better).

You can buy that in any construction material shop (that sells heavy tools, house paints, etc...).

Otherwise search for it on Amazon.

dont they use teflon for pipes to help waterproof them and keep them tighter

little white plastic rolls

That tape you talk (if it´s Teflon) is very weak and it doesn´t has a gluing side.

There is Teflon tape that has a gluing side and it´s not necesseraly white (it can be grey, black, whatever).

I would really like to try that tape you're talking about RaZias, I think you're french isn't it? Do you know the french name for it? It would probably be easier for me to find that stuff ;)

I am Portuguese but I live on France.

The French name is the same because it was in fact created by the an American company of french origin :) (Dupont Co.).

In France if you go to a bricolage store ("Mr Bricolage" for exemple) you can find it.

In www.amazon.fr you can find it also, the thing is that you need to pay transport.

There is white-weak tape for pipes (don´t buy it) and Teflon adesive (specialy to help game mouse to slide).

-------- A link to a Teflon slider to replace the game-mouse sliders (you can cut it and glue it):

http://www.amazon.fr...64334113&sr=8-2

--------A link to the mouse sliders (these ones have adesive):

http://www.amazon.fr...64334113&sr=8-9

-------- This one is a good deal for the price, it´s a Teflon kitchen mat that avoids burned food to stick to it:

(you can cut it and glue it to a double sided adesive tape)

http://www.amazon.fr...=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

-------- Another Teflon mat for kitchen:

http://www.amazon.fr...4334172&sr=8-34

----------- To any other Kitchen mat:

Be careful to check if it´s a Teflon kitchen mat and not a Silicone+Fiber Glass mat (this one nothing sticks to it but nothing slides on it...)

Remember: Kitchen Teflon mat can be bought in any supermarket :)

i've used vaseline it works ok and yes it can be messy. cooking grease, spoiled and smelled bad... oil ran and made a huge mess on cleaning. the best i've used came from Aaron Pauling but he like never has it anymore. So i stay with the messy vaseline now. as far as teflon mats id be afraid of them crawling under it where its glued down, or any gaps, but i've have never tried it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the species, some of them can climb over grease while others can get stuck and die in the grease like the pillbug roaches. For these you'd want the teflon paint. There are probably a lot of other things that might work or could possibly work like this http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-Aerosol/dp/B003UTX0R8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383411997&sr=8-2&keywords=teflon+paint

• 2 weeks later...

I've yet to meet a cockroach who could get past a pair of ladies' tights stretched over the lid of the bin (with the legs tied of course), especially if used in conjunction with a barrier like vaseline.

• 1 month later...

no , the sticky part of the tape is taped on the container boarding the inside .. the top side is very smooth and slick .. problem with Vaseline is , within 2 months it melts off ESP in summer heat of over 80F ...I used Vaseline back in the late 90s with hissers and Giant Cave Roaches. it's just a sticky mess to clean up and reapply and im a semi lazy hobbyst so I want to do things very practical and easy.

You're right about vasoline. My Germans climb over my layer of vasoline mixed with mineral oil all the time. You think your packing tape would work if I put it over the old vasoline layer? I've spread the vasoline so wide over the tank wall, I'm not sure if I could avoid it.

That tape you talk (if it´s Teflon) is very weak and it doesn´t has a gluing side.

There is Teflon tape that has a gluing side and it´s not necesseraly white (it can be grey, black, whatever).

Right. I've tried the white teflon and it doesn't work for my German any better than the vasoline/mineral oil layer. I think I've seen a picture of the better teflon you're talking about. It's brown and about 2/3 times wider than the white. Even by appearence it looks more durable.