new feeder roaches and random yada

Today my Red Runners/Turkistan Roaches and Orangehead roaches arrived. All over them are great healthy animals. The Orangeheads will not climb sterilite containers much like the Giant Caves but the Turkistans will climb up the walls of sterilite containers with ease. I put packing tape border on the inside of each sterilite container , it stops all the climbing roaches in their tracks, the tape is too slick for them. My guess is probably a weekly wipe down to keep the take smooth , clean and slippery. My guess is, if you use Turkistan Roaches as feeders in an aquarium tank , they can not climb glass but can climb the silicone corners in the aquariums. I would probably suggest neatly covering the silicone corners/edges inside the aquariums with packing tape and keeping the tape clean on a weekly basis or as needed. Perhaps this will prevent any escapees . The orangeheads are really an attractive roach, the turkistans---not so much !! But I feel great the turkistans will make an awesome feeder roach. I found some " pet " roaches and a few other " feeder " roaches species on a different website that I will be ordering very soon. Keeping roaches is an unusual hobby and not the most politically correct hobby with the peers..In a weird way you get sucked into it and it's very enjoyable / fun hobby to take on. I'll have to admit, I'm in the closet with my peers when it comes to " having roaches as feeders and pets " ....

Love your post!

I'm the opposite on the bugs & peers thing. All of my friends know I have them and I've driven my co-workers insane talking about my roaches :) I have them shipped to work so I'm right there to receive them - so everyone gets to see the roaches whether they want to or not. . .

Yes, they are majorly addicting - don't know why, but I never get tired of taking care of them and learning as much as I can!

for the turks we use the clear 56qt sterlite bins they cant climb unless theres texture (packing tape works wonders,vaseline not at all lol) we learned this the hard way also lol

Orangeheads are alot of fun non climbing species but they are very strong.im sure you have noticed this already if you picked them up.

of all the roach species like 10 are considered pests and its that small percentage that really sticks in peoples heads

IMO from keeping a ton of different reptiles, and mammals. roaches are the easiest and cleanest

Love your post!

I'm the opposite on the bugs & peers thing. All of my friends know I have them and I've driven my co-workers insane talking about my roaches :) I have them shipped to work so I'm right there to receive them - so everyone gets to see the roaches whether they want to or not. . .

Yes, they are majorly addicting - don't know why, but I never get tired of taking care of them and learning as much as I can!

It's amusing to me when I tell clients I raise the very thing they are hiring me to kill off. All my friends and the local community know me as the roach / bug guy, but not in the same way as most pest control folks. Granted that job is more recent than my insect artwork and website. I love my pet critters, even when I kill off large roach colonies I feel bad for not saving a few for my own ranks.Hehe. My turks are kept in a sterlite container and I've never had an escape. Weird. Vaseline also works as a cheap barrier but can also be a tad messy.