Assisted forced mating ?

RaZias

Since "artificial insemination" is hard to do in insects (technical tools, knowledge, etc...) I wonder if assisted forced mating could be possible.

--------- Let me describe this crazy idea:

The problem with artificial insemination is to get the semen...so is better to let the male insert in the female.

The female would be attached, her genitalia would be exposed by means of tools (check the bee insemination picture) and the male would be free to do whatever he wanted.

.....I know what it sounds...poor female roach...

I think this could speed up selective breeding.

---------- Please see this site:

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/bee_photos_3.html

---------- Video about the procedure:

--------- Site that sells products for insect insemination:

http://www.besamungsgeraet.de/__en/

I wonder the price........

besamungsgeraet104.jpg

tomglenninstrumentalinsemination.jpg

artificial_insemination.jpg

LOL...I think you got some "mad scientist" genes in you... ; )

That´s Right !!! Since I was a kid I wanted to be a genetician.

I always had good marks at biology (17/20) and histology (19/20).

My actual job has nothing to do it genetics but I still have the will.

That´s Right !!! Since I was a kid I wanted to be a genetician.

I always had good marks at biology (17/20) and histology (19/20).

My actual job has nothing to do it genetics but I still have the will.

Good for you! : ) You are in Europe so I cannot purchase any on the "Giant Genetic Freak" roaches you make but once they get out and infest the plant I can get them from my filthy kitchen. ; )

Seperate male and female nymphs so when they mature they don't mate, and then select your adult male and female of choice and put them together alone, they will mate without your intervention, and that's how you selective breed. :)

That's what I did.

Seperate male and female nymphs so when they mature they don't mate, and then select your adult male and female of choice and put them together alone, they will mate without your intervention, and that's how you selective breed. :)

That's what I did.

The point is: does the female always say "yes" ?

When I see them trying to mate the female always avoids them.

The point is: does the female always say "yes" ?

When I see them trying to mate the female always avoids them.

Sometimes a female will have mated recently but still have males trying to court her and that's why she refuses, that must be what your witnessing.

That's what I did.

This would be the best way.

I don't see how restraing a female for mating will do any good if the stress and handling harms her. Not to mention that the female mounts the male in many species.

• 4 months later...

That's what I did.

I did this with dubias recently. I separated the males and females when they were only half grown, and left them separated until they all matured. And the bin with only the 15 or so female dubias ended up having babies in it. Anyone heard of dubias reproducing A-sexually? I kept the babies separate, but they are still tiny.