Millipedes Gigas

RaZias

I recently bought 2 couples of millipedes Gigas and I would like to know if there is a nice forum about them.

Can anyone say anything about them ? Food, enviromment, humidity, heat, reproduction...

Are those giant African millipedes? That's the only species I kept.

Are those giant African millipedes? That's the only species I kept.

Yep, the 30 cm ones.

Any other species of millipede is hard to get.

Can I put 3 species inside the same vivarium or it´s the same rule as the roaches (1 species per tank) ?

Why they need to get underground ? Is it a defense mecanism ?

I would love to have these 2 species:

madagascan_fire_millipedes_sm.jpg

Madagascan Fire Millipede

philippine_black_yellow_striped_millipede_sm.jpg

Philippine Black & Yellow Striped Millipede

they actually eat loads of substrate, so it needs to be a good quality. This is even more true for smallest species, gigas and others 20cm+ species tend to eat substrate and a lot of cucumber.

They need the substrate for humidity and to hide, yeah, and if it's dry or if there is not enough soil, they can't shed and they die. It' also the only way to get a chance to have babies.

It's one species per tank (I heard they can fight and broke legs).

Here, I had Archispirostreptus gigas, Mardonius parilis acuticonus, Centrobolus ruber vulpinus, Telodeinopus assiensis, Alcimobolus domigensis and Tonkinbolus dollfusi. It was a few years ago know... At this time, nearly no one in France, Belgium and so on succed in getting reproduction, just some long time breeders succeded... As a begginer, I had the chance to get babies from Tonkinbolus dollfusi, and I bred two complete generations by myself. It was really surprising to succeed was nearly no experience!

I think that in greater tanks, other species may have reproduce... but, well, the only millipedes I get know are Tachypodoiulus albipes and Pachyiulius flavipes... I hope to have babies from them!

I see that it was written by you :D.

What´s your profession exactly ? Are you an etmologist resercher ? Must be a cool job...I envy you ;)

I would love to answer in the affirmative, however, my profession, the one that pays bills rather than incurring them, is water plant operations including lab work and rotating shifts, nights, days, weekends, and holidays. Unfortunately the interest in arthropod fauna overall is relatively low. I am however grateful for my profession, real and imagined.

I would love to answer in the affirmative, however, my profession, the one that pays bills rather than incurring them, is water plant operations including lab work and rotating shifts, nights, days, weekends, and holidays. Unfortunately the interest in arthropod fauna overall is relatively low. I am however grateful for my profession, real and imagined.

A water treatment plant?

• 6 months later...

HELLO,

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE 1 YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND I DIDNT WANT TO START ANOTHER TOPIC BUT LAST NIGHT I WENT ON A HUNT FOR ANYTHING CREEPING ABOUT AND FOUND A MILLIPEDE. IT IS A NIGHT TRAIN. FUNNY LITTLE BUSTARDS SO I KEEP IT. I DONT HOLD IT