Sometimes we get lucky

at the white plains reptile expo on 4/21 we were vending

wile I was looking around for possible things too pick up I stumbled across a random table

and the guy had like 12 cups of small roaches lobster,florida skunk,madgascar hissers,and zebra roaches

Zebras are a species on the list I would like to own so I asked how much were the pods (each cup had 10+ small nymphs)

the guy replied let me check my friend left me the list he does some digging and tells me they are $5 per cup

I look at him with a very surprised look on my face knowing these guys are a little higher end and have a good $2+ each price tag

I then told him that they are worth more and told him a basic retail price that ive seen

he replied well thats what my friend is asking so there all yours

I dont think ive ever reached in my pocket that fast to pay for something

lol sometimes we get lucky I guess im just happy I was able to leave the table happy with my new roaches and a clean conscience that I told him the the truth just got a really great deal

now up to 12 species took sometime but got all the ones I really wanted lol

http://tinypic.com/r/25rphsm/4

http://tinypic.com/r/20r5hco/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2hec4dx/4

http://tinypic.com/r/wunjok/4

http://tinypic.com/r/33l1p5i/4

these are the pics of the largest of the about 20 nymphs Im not familiar with the species so it is possible they are not zebras

but for $10 ill gamble every time lol

im going to see if I can get them identified from someone who keeps the species

looking at the nymphs and florida skunk roaches they look very similar and he did have them on the table also so its possible they are skunk roaches

I didnt really look too well and compare them at the table

but they are very small and black with a little red tint just like skunks bodies look similar but ive never seen a zebra nymph lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have a "lucky" story myself conerning roaches. Years ago, my Blaberus Discoidous were getting overgrown after 2 years (a hundred or two). Would never kill any or feed them to other animals. So I contacted a roach breeder in New York for help and it turned out that he had a friend from Venezuela that was about to go back there!!! South America is exactly were Discoid are from. So they agreed to help me and the friend let some go in a jungle in his backyard when he got back to Venezuala. With a little prayer and faith, The Lord provides.

I have a "lucky" story myself conerning roaches. Years ago, my Blaberus Discoidous were getting overgrown after 2 years (a hundred or two). Would never kill any or feed them to other animals. So I contacted a roach breeder in New York for help and it turned out that he had a friend from Venezuela that was about to go back there!!! South America is exactly were Discoid are from. So they agreed to help me and the friend let some go in a jungle in his backyard when he got back to Venezuala. With a little prayer and faith, The Lord provides.

Just wondered, if, say you released a cat/dog/whatever, that was used to only having to walk a few meters for food, whenever it wanted, it probably wouldn't live more than a couple of months, and I can't help wondering if roaches would find it equally difficult to adapt? I'm not having a dig, just curious. I'd probably sell them.

Just wondered, if, say you released a cat/dog/whatever, that was used to only having to walk a few meters for food, whenever it wanted, it probably wouldn't live more than a couple of months, and I can't help wondering if roaches would find it equally difficult to adapt? I'm not having a dig, just curious. I'd probably sell them.

I was afraid if I sold them, they would be fed to reptiles or tarantulas. South America is that species' origin (though I'm not sure specifically Venezuala), so I think they had a good chance. Though you're probably right about the fact they were born and raised in my home and adapting to the wild. It's good you care about their survival. That's common on this site, but most people in the world wouldn't care a bit.

release insectes you breed in the nature, probably the worst thing to do... There are often diferent locals, and many roaches in captivity have been hybridized... just polluting the savage populations...

What do you mean by savage populations? Like I said above, Discoid are native to South America, so I probably didn't introduce an invasive species. Though it is a big continent and there's a chance they're only native to certain nations down there. No expert on that.