Rhino roaches

They only get 3.2 inches long and 1.25 wide?? Hummmm...I have hybrid freak female hissers that are that big...just not as bulky. The Rhino's have the shape of the VW Bug. 35 g. Wow! I wonder how much my giant hissers weight? Not that much : )

Anyone on the board keep these? Will they live and reproduce on dead oak leaves?

a friend of mine got a "young" male for... 15€ on a show... What a luck!

It's usually between 150 and 200 € for an adult pair. Just to expensive for me... at the moment :D

That is a little more reasonable. $195-$260 for an adult pair...I would pay that to get babies. I only know a handful of people in the U.S. that have this species.

http://www.theroachhut.co.uk/#!__shop/macropanesthia the Roach hut has a small colony of them

Ive seen a few youtube videos of people who have them but only seen them offered for sale once of twice (not a whole lot of looking into it)

amazing species the largest roach in the world weight and bulk wise

too bad a little out of reach for you everyday collector

that's because they don't reproduce a lot... You must wait something like 5 years to get adults, and then 2 years to get babies... If you heat the tank. It can be longer! And females pregnacy is quiet long too, that's why nobody sells little colonies ;)

Yes, this is the sad reality of one of the coolest roaches on the planet. :)

I know Kyle had some. Maybe he will post an update on his.

To Europe they are avaiable in this UK site:

http://www.bugzuk.co...cts/millipedes/

They sell to the rest of the world also:

http://www.bugzuk.co...aging-delivery/

I just don´t know if they will survive the travel....anyway the Rhino roach was introduced to USA trought Netherlands...I wonder how the package was made to keep alive such a expensive pet.

I think on buying a Zoosphaerium neptunus (green pill millipede).

PS: I need to stop speaking on millipedes here otherwise the "roach secret police" with their roach propaganda will put me in prison...damn their are already knocking at my doors AHHHHHHH save meeeee.......

Yes we can Mrcracker pants.

stricktlyreptiles has them from time to time I saw my fist one when I was 10 years old in that warehouse.

That "pink dragon" pede is amazing.

But we have some pretty amazing stuff here in the USA i would live to go to AZ,NM, and extreme south texas and collect around there.

AT Nick.

Why do you say adding heat makes them grow slower?? They come from AUS and heat is normal. If anything wear ever roaches occur there has to be heat.

To Europe they are avaiable in this UK site:

http://www.bugzuk.co...cts/millipedes/

They sell to the rest of the world also:

http://www.bugzuk.co...aging-delivery/

I just don´t know if they will survive the travel....anyway the Rhino roach was introduced to USA trought Netherlands...I wonder how the package was made to keep alive such a expensive pet.

I think on buying a Zoosphaerium neptunus (green pill millipede).

PS: I need to stop speaking on millipedes here otherwise the "roach secret police" with their roach propaganda will put me in prison...damn their are already knocking at my doors AHHHHHHH save meeeee.......

Since 2006 it has been illegal to import millipedes into the U.S. This does not mean that people are obeying the law.

Yes we can Mrcracker pants.

stricktlyreptiles has them from time to time I saw my fist one when I was 10 years old in that warehouse.

That "pink dragon" pede is amazing.

But we have some pretty amazing stuff here in the USA i would live to go to AZ,NM, and extreme south texas and collect around there.

AT Nick.

Why do you say adding heat makes them grow slower?? They come from AUS and heat is normal. If anything wear ever roaches occur there has to be heat.

I would like to see some evidence. I was unaware that anyone had breeding success with the species above (since the 2006 millipede importation ban) and was currently selling the CB babies. I could be totally wrong and would love to be educated as I would love to purchase any of these CB species. I am not interested in purchasing WC illegally imported species. I am not referring to all none U.S. species just the ones pictured above minus the unidentified train.

Hey!!! Were we talking about Rhinos? ; ).

Some species can't be imported anymore, yet others can. Some are native. Some are being captive bred on a larger scale than others (like the Giant Africans), some you have to find a small breeder and wait in line. (And pay nearly as much as a Rhino roach!) It's really dependent on the actual species and the care requirements on if they can be found here anymore. Importing any live animal into the US from outside the coutnry though is going to be a headache and take special permits - customs does not take kindly to unmarked packaged containing living things! They might have the permits to ship it outside their country, but do you have the paperwork and the contacts needed to actually get it to your doorstep here?

Also, I know that the pill-bug millipede species no one bothers with anymore here in the US since they are so hard to keep in captivity. They think it has something to do with their gut bacteria and lack of native food that causes them to not survive for long. :( At one point it was nearly a 100% death rate after only a few weeks. I think there are now some hardcore keepers who have managed to find out some tricks, but for the average public they would be extremely expensive pets that lived for a month. (I haven't seen anything about CB babies either.) I've always thought they were the coolest things ever, but after finding out how delicate they were I didn't think it was worthwhile to pursue getting one. I personally think it's cruel to knowingly buy a wild-caught animal that has very little chance of survival in captivity.

Also, I know that the pill-bug millipede species no one bothers with anymore here in the US since they are so hard to keep in captivity. They think it has something to do with their gut bacteria and lack of native food that causes them to not survive for long. :( At one point it was nearly a 100% death rate after only a few weeks. I think there are now some hardcore keepers who have managed to find out some tricks, but for the average public they would be extremely expensive pets that lived for a month. (I haven't seen anything about CB babies either.) I've always thought they were the coolest things ever, but after finding out how delicate they were I didn't think it was worthwhile to pursue getting one. I personally think it's cruel to knowingly buy a wild-caught animal that has very little chance of survival in captivity.

Yes, I agree. Very cool millipedes but die very quickly in captivity.