South African Roaches

Hello Everyone,

I had promised to post some photos of the native roaches I found, but I hadn't made the time. Well, here they are. I've shared some of them before, but most are new.

A species of Pycnoscelus, Adult.

006.jpg

Juvenile

100_8516.jpg

Unidentified, but a great looking roach.

This species lives in sand, and gives live birth.

038_zps29a238dc.jpg

Also Unidentified, and very hard to keep. I lost two of the three specimens I found. This species lives in leaf litter, breeding unknown.

Possibly two different species.

135_zps043b363e.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys them.

Joh

Hi Nicolas and Alex. Thank you for the replies.

Alex- we do not have harsh winters. We have wet winters, although we're in a summer rainfall area, with a minimum temperature of about five degrees Celcius. But our average winter temperature, on a cold day, is about 12-16 degrees Celcius.

Nicolas- I would gladly have exchanged with you, but South Africa has very strict laws on exporting invertebrates, and one requires a permit for every species. Permits are, sadly, very hard to come by. Also, due to time constraints, I had to release them back into the wild.

Thank you again for looking at the photos. Please feel free to ask more questions... Stimulating discussion is always welcome.

Thats funny its like a winter here in FL except we are dry.

We have a few species of Pycnoscelus here in FL aswell I am guessing they all came with the potted plants from thier native country.

Please keep the pics comeing! You are in the home land of periplaneta by the way B)