Hisser enclosure

SLE18

Im considering getting some hissers, but i need to secure the tank.

Will hisser nymphs be able to escape from this? If so, how can I modify it? Also how to prevent them getting out under the lid? Velcro?

3 sides and the top have the vents. The roach is a female dubia to give an idea of size.

The one with the pink lid is much bigger than mine.

post-3147-0-61682100-1369011789_thumb.jpg

Small climbing roaches will easily get out of that.

A aquarium tank can be made to work by cutting plexiglass and fitting it inside the lip of the lid, but you may need a table saw or miter saw to do the cuts.

Both wood and plexiglass will warp and bow out of shape when heated. Useing wieghts takes up space and is messy. Find a way to attach latches or L hooks like marty made cages.

I used something similar to the pictured tank for my first hisser, and I realised any nymphs would be able to escape, so I bought a pair of women's tights, tied the legs together and cut them off above the knot (so no holes for escaping) and stretched the remaining crotch-part over the tank, then fitted the lid over the top. Allows ventilation to pass through, but not the nymphs, and it's synthetic, so they don't really bother chewing it.

Now I have a bigger tank and use the small tank for my two pet slugs, so it still comes in handy, never had an escape from it yet!

I've been horrified reading the escape accounts of hisser nymphs.I have some new adults and a few older nymphs and I've been reading everything on here about how to make escape-proof habitats. The tights solution is genius!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As others have said, baby hisser will have no problems getting out of that. I've used aluminum widow screen instead of the tights. It holds up better IMO. Just cut it about 1/2" larger on all sides and snap the lid down on it. If you really want to be neat you can even trim it more once the lid is snapped on. The nice thing about the aluminum is that it holds its shape better and you can see through it to see where the nymphs are. With tights or nylons (As I have seen some people mention) they can hide near the top. They work but IMO the screen works better.

• 9 years later...

I'm glad I found the screen idea, but if you need to stack containers, there should be an alternative.  The gasket idea is good but I have not made a gasket lid yet.  I am looking for a safe barrier and wonder if this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Automotive-Dielectric-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B016E5E59G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=35LBBK1UB249B&keywords=pure+silicone+grease&qid=1660613909&sprefix=pure+sili%2Caps%2C831&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Is it safe for the animals?