Lets talk about Pepper Roaches

I've have these pepper roach colony up and going for a few months now. I set their 55 gallon container setup exactly like the Giant Cave Roaches , ie a lot of verticles cork bark and an inch of substrate. I've noticed, unlike the Giant Cave Roaches, the Pepper Roaches to not use these verticle corkbark but almost all of them are found on or under the substrate. Ive now rearranged the Pepper Roach container to where there's two large verticle cork bark and I added more rotten leaves and alittle more substrate. Has anyone ever found these in the field? If so, are these always found terrestrial in the leaf litter? are they eating rotten fruits and fungi ? I've noticed my Pepper roach colony also isn't as fond of oranges , dog/cat food , fish flakes , spirulina flakes as much as my other roach colonies are.... Perhaps they don't have as large as an appetite ? I noticed my discoides roaches eat a lot but my giant caves do not have a large appetite. Any pointers on anyone keeping these sexy fun roaches , PLS chime in !!! Esp with husbandry and diet .... thank you !!!!

I've actually found my peppereds to be quite gluttonous. For how many I have they outeat the other species I keep. I have noticed that they don't like oranges or dog food as much as the other species, but mine very much enjoy apples and milkbones instead. And yes, mine tend to bury during the day, underneath leaves and moss. I didn't even know I had nymphs in there until they were well over Quarter sized!

Yep, dog treats. Low protein, high grains. And yes, mine enjoy mango, too. :) I try to stay away from bananas in the summer since fruit flies magically appear on them. :/

I have about 9 Peppered nymphs and have been giving them ferret pellets, fish flakes and oranges. I never can really tell who's eating what since all of my tanks have under 10 roaches. The Peppereds SEEM to be doing well - but I want them to thrive not just exist!

This info is good to have! I'll start giving these guys apples and high grain dog treats.

Side note:

I have my Peppered nymphs in a small 'no lid' Kritter Keeper. I dumped the whole thing on the kitchen floor a few weeks ago. My brain went from relaxed to PANIC in T minus ZERO seconds!

They are from the tropics....if you want them to thrive give them high humidity above the substrate and some heat on the end of one cage.

Roaches don't leave there shelter if its too dry...

Can we have picture's of the cage and get a chance to critiqe it a bit??

the adult males I find above the leaf litter/substrate the females Ill see everynow and then above the nymphs I only see when doing cleanings digging around in the tubs

our tub is set up with cork bark and branches but all laying on the ground or making little cave like set ups as if they have fallen ontop of each other

My peppers prefer lettuce but they've chewed on peanutbutter and non-buttered popcorn before, although junkfood rarely gets offered.

Grapes and oranges are ignored typically but strawberries have been acknowledged.

You're definitely going to want substrate around 2-3 inches if you ask me. Dirt is like their drug..