Need pictures of Parcoblatta species

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found a male P. divisa. Is it? I found it in the "Tractor Supply" store which is not very far from our house. I also found a female rhino beetle there. I cannot measure its length because I lost my ruler...

7512114_orig.jpg

8112159_orig.jpg

I found what I think is a P. uhleriana male in the store too.

143232_orig.jpg

Parcoblatta uhleriana females. The one on the left has a light (reddish) head which is easier to see in real life.

8568132_orig.jpg

739391_orig.jpg

2055946_orig.jpg

The light headed one (brighter in real life).

6173279_orig.jpg

I lost my dead P. pennsylvanica like male. Probably my mom threw it away. I cannot find it. I planned to measure him and then take his wings off. He did look very much like the P. pennsylvanica pictures I see. I want to make some traps like the ones I read about in that link about the short winged P. caudelli you showed.

Pictures of the maybe P. caudelli. The orange female and two other smaller females that showed more orange than the others when fed a lot.

1638990_orig.jpg

2523790_orig.jpg

9148793_orig.jpg

Here are a few local Parcoblatta spp. There isn’t much from my area, it’s hot and dry out here.

Unlike the pervious Parcoblatta I’ve collect, these females are bit aggressive. Females chase each other if they get too close together, larger gravid females will also chase the males. Late instars of these males are dark maroon.

pacro1_zpsfb51db3e.png

pacro2_zpscf175cce.png

A slightly smaller female, she exhibits less aggression towards the others and actively encourages them males..

parco3_zps34812a8e.png

I can spread the males wings when I have a couple more of them.

It is hot but wet here. My P. uhleriana are probably the most aggressive. I have not seen the P. bolliana act aggressively. I have not seen the P. virginica act aggressively either but they eat the weak males. I have seen the P. uhleriana and the maybe P. caudelli chase each other but they would not actually run after the other, they would just dart at each other.

Finally got my pictures uploaded. Very frustrating lol.

This might be a sub-adult female of the maybe P. caudelli. I have her in a separate container so I will know what she is when she becomes adult. I have seen lighter ones.

2669512_orig.jpg

Today some of mine hatched. They could be P. bolliana, P. virginica or the maybe P. caudelli. Not P. uhleriana since I separated them. I kept my oothecae usually above that. At first the lowest temperature was about 72 but for a while now it has been over 80.

Today some of mine hatched. They could be P. bolliana, P. virginica or the maybe P. caudelli. Not P. uhleriana since I separated them. I kept my oothecae usually above that. At first the lowest temperature was about 72 but for a while now it has been over 80.

Congratulation! My virginicas were white when they hatched and stayed white for couple of molts so if the ones that hatched are white in color, they might be P. virginica :)

PS. I might be able to get the ID on the "possible caudelli" soon as I've been appointed as volunteer worker in Auburn university and apparently, they have systems to identify Parcoblattas.

Looks like most of mine are P. fulvescens. I have read a while back that this species has female-female and female-male aggression possibly caused by sex pheromones.. the ones I kept previously lacked males due to their early die out from extreme heat.

There are also a few of these; 9-11mm, oval tegmina (hard to see in pic), prefers to hide under leaves rather than on the piece of egg crate, and can zoom up glass. P. bolliana? If so, this makes for at least three species here.

dr2_zps7b7c76d6.png

Another species of Parcoblatta that looks similar, Parcoblatta americana.

http://bugguide.net/.../228483/bgimage

My Parcoblatta cf. bolliana (cf means compare or check first) like to stay in the eggcrates more than leaves but they stay in both.

Location in the container may be related to humidity, temp, enclosure size, and even the number of roaches sharing that space. I just know it makes mine harder to find, while the other spp hang out just about anywhere.

I did compare interocular width to the anntenal sockets, the distance between them appears the same. I will double check this spacing under magnification later along with comparing the subgenital and supra anal plates to descriptions, too. Tegmina seem to lack venation.

There's also the fact that P. bolliana have been collection from Oklahoma, no mention of P. americana being collected here.

Do you have any suspected P. bolliana oothecae?

Then they are almost certainly P. bolliana? I will take a picture of a P. bolliana ootheca when they lay one.

If you can catch a female in the process, even better! The angle the ootheca come out can be used to determine some species.

Here is were I'm getting some info/keys. It's old but that isn't much of an issue with the Parcoblatta descriptions.

http://books.google....id=YloUAAAAYAAJ a free googlebooks pdf.

P. bolliana starts on page 77 of the pdf, 86 if you enter it into your pdf viewer. Female descriptions are two pages later.

Mine match up, now to find males..