dubia dying no known cause

chris

for some reason i have had serious issues keeping my colonies up this last 6 to 8 weeks

i know its been a highly talked about topic this last few weeks and i am not the only one with the problem

everything is spot on in there enclosure and i feed the best possible foods to them and dont use animal protein my only question is can they be overheated? my only thing left to see is if they can overheat

in the daytime they are in my attic which hits probly 100F and i use a spaceheater at night which is set to 95F but really runs the room around 91F

is it possible these deaths are from overheating? ive noticed the dubia were crouding the bottom of the bin even going as far as using the open space in the front and back of the bins to lay on...

i have heard of people in arizona keeping them in the shed outdoors in about 115F

today the room maxed out at about 94F i think i have to check the thermometer

I agree with Andee, I've lost a bunch as soon as the weather started warming up. Mine stay in the garage where it's pretty warm, but I supply them with plenty of water gels/fruits to keep them hydrated yet I've still lost around 20-30 in just a month. Maybe the weaker ones just can't tolerate it? Kind of weird, considering they like the warm, tropical weathers...

If we get a few days over 90F my dubia get hyper and really active but if not provided with enough food and especially liquids they get dehydrated very quickly and get weak. Sounds like they are too hot 90s constantly and no humidity is bad. 80s are ok for prolonged time but not 90s or 100

On days like this I give apples, oranges, and romaine lettuce, full of water and juice. I mist their cage with water from a spray bottle once a day before bed. They drink the water droplets and the humidity prevents dehydration/overheating.

Kind of weird, considering they like the warm, tropical weathers...

Many animals thermoregulate, including insects. It may not be so much what the hottest temperature in the bin is, but whether they can get away from that and to a cooler area when needed. If the whole bin is a high room temp (garage, shed, etc) they may not have enough of a gradient. I know it certainly works that way in herps.

In the wild, roaches will seek out cooler sheltered areas as needed or just avoid high daytime temps all together.

• 2 weeks later...

If we get a few days over 90F my dubia get hyper and really active but if not provided with enough food and especially liquids they get dehydrated very quickly and get weak. Sounds like they are too hot 90s constantly and no humidity is bad. 80s are ok for prolonged time but not 90s or 100

On days like this I give apples, oranges, and romaine lettuce, full of water and juice. I mist their cage with water from a spray bottle once a day before bed. They drink the water droplets and the humidity prevents dehydration/overheating.

It's been in the 90's constantly here in central NY. Can German stand the constant 90's as far as you know? They have a lot of water gell, but no fruit right now.

It's been in the 90's constantly here in central NY. Can German stand the constant 90's as far as you know? They have a lot of water gell, but no fruit right now.

Honestly, I don't know with that species. If it's somewhat too warm you may not see dramatic die offs so much as shortened lifespans. That happens with the some of the native wood roaches species in my area, the nymphs and some adult females are ok but the males will die off during the hottest months. German roaches hardiness is in their ooths, though.

Depending on their enclosure, you can lightly mist it if you're not doing so already. If you use a completely sealed container you won't need to do that very often.

I do know if a house is roachy and left vacant over the Oklahoma summer (100+F daytime temp) that German roaches clear out. lol