Panchlora nivea behavior. . .health issue?

ArtBug

So I got about 30 of these guys a few months ago. They were mostly nymphs with a couple of dead adults and a few live adults. I've discovered that the nymphs like to burrow into the food and mostly prefer apples and carrots. They never eat the dog biscuits I have in there.

I'm a little weirded out by the adults. Somehow I thought because they can fly - they'd spend more time above ground - but they seem to burrow, too. I really only get to see an adult out of the substrate a few hours before they die. I get all excited thinking, "Cool! An adult I can watch and enjoy" and then it's dead the next morning. This has happened 3 times now.

They are in an aquarium with about an inch of coconut fiber and natural substrate. The nymphs are pretty cool - but they're VERY shy and mostly invisible. They seem pretty active and healthy whenever I dig around to find them (which is VERY rare - I prefer to leave them alone!)

So, anyway - would love some comments on your Panchlora nivea colonies and what you've noticed about the adults and their behavior!

I don't keep the species but do have experience with other animals that like to be hidden. An aquarium is quite exposed, lots of light can get in, shadows cast on it as anything moves by, etc. Maybe find a way to allow them to hide and still let have the aquarium look more natural? I've seen people use fake plants with cave roaches..

Otherwise list the basics: temp? humidity?

They don't have a lot of places to hide - they seem to like burrowing. I definitly could put some more stuff in there for them! I do mist their tank once a day to keep it humid for them.

If you're interested there are some cheap hygrometer and thermometer combinations with probes. Zilla and Exo Terra make ones for under $20. I'm sure other users know of cheap options.

You may not have to keep it on one enclosure all the time once everything is stable, but it's good to have one handy for checking if there's a problem.

Well that's sad, that they die like that, and hardly come out. I'd recommend a lot more cover. Maybe like some leaves and branches.

It is kind of strange though that they appear only when half dead. You've only had them a couple months after all. Are they all getting proper access to the food?

Yes, the food is easy for them to get to - and I pull it out before it can get moldy. It's definitely time to add more hides to their habitat. Their life needs to be FUN! I don't think the nymphs give a hoot about being above ground - but your idea might be helpful for the adults. One thing about this hobby - very interesting to accommodate each species for optimum health.