Yellow Dubia Breeding Program

JohnFrost

I have started the next generation and should be seeing the resulting adult offspring soon. Here are a few of the females from July.

post-3211-0-35260400-1414120800_thumb.jpg

I have about 65 more nymphs from F6 that are on their last molt. As soon as they do I will post pictures of the completed F6 breeding group. The oldest F7 nymphs are about 3 months old, so it will be a while until I get to see how they turn out. If everything goes well I should have a fully color stabilized colony around F10 (sometime next year).

This is one of the new males that made it into the F6 breeding colony. This is fairly close to the final color scheme I am working toward.

post-3211-0-59907500-1414385823_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-64739800-1414385827_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first example of a male with mostly gold wings that is still able to fully express black pigment. He has black on his legs, head, and abdomen. Normally the light wings come with an almost albino looking body, lacking most if not all pigment on the underside of the roach except for the eyes and the tip of the abdomen. Unrelated, I thought this female looked kinda cool. As I'm getting closer to completing this little experiment I have to wonder- What do I do with these guys when I'm finished?

post-3211-0-74783000-1415650981_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-79508100-1415651004_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is seriously interesting; and well-documented too! Just wanted to say that they look great (as if a roach could ever look bad)!

Here are two very pale males I isolated from two unrelated cultures. I set them up with random virgin females. The first litter was born recently. I should be able to do a test cross when they are older and see if it is simple recessive or polygenic.

I never was able to get males that light, you've made serious progress! :)

• 4 months later...

I have had a few requests for an update on the Dubia Breeding. Here are a few pictures of some of the breeding females. I have scaled up the breeding colony and have 2 more colonies currently set aside for nymph development. The color, in general, has begun to express as either a dark gold or as a lighter yellow depending upon the female. I haven't decided on which to pursue, so at this point I'm keeping both.

post-3211-0-41139200-1431485086_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-90471900-1431485091_thumb.jpg

I have had a few requests for an update on the Dubia Breeding. Here are a few pictures of some of the breeding females. I have scaled up the breeding colony and have 2 more colonies currently set aside for nymph development. The color, in general, has begun to express as either a dark gold or as a lighter yellow depending upon the female. I haven't decided on which to pursue, so at this point I'm keeping both.

They both are awesome, congrats on the progress!

I forgot to mention, those last pictures were of F7.

• 1 month later...

After this female molted I waited for 3 weeks to see if she would darken. I then moved her into a separate breeding container with a similarly colored male and second female to try and isolate the coloration. This is the first breeding female for F8.

post-3211-0-56185700-1435179802_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-51559400-1435179809_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I have had several that have displayed different aspects of the yellow color scheme, but this is the first that is completely yellow, front and back, top and bottom. I have one that looks almost identical but is darker. I would consider her orange. I have posted pictures of my other breeders and they have more prominent black markings but a similar yellow striping.

• 2 weeks later...

After this female molted I waited for 3 weeks to see if she would darken. I then moved her into a separate breeding container with a similarly colored male and second female to try and isolate the coloration. This is the first breeding female for F8.

Your project is great! Obviously it's working! ?

• 4 weeks later...

This picture is in response to a question about light nymphs. I have quite a few in my colony and over the years have separated them to observe their final molt. I personally have been looking for a way to identify gold/yellow adults before the final molt and thought that this may be a way to shorten the amount of time that I have to wait until I am able to make the final breeding colony for each successive generation. I was not able to find any correlation between the color of the nymph and the color expressed after the final molt. I have, however, noticed that the lighter the adults get, the lighter the nymphs appear to be getting.

post-3211-0-84092900-1438379936_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Final Breeding Colony for F8 is finished. I am fairly satisfied with the female coloration, so now I have to focus on the males a little more before the color morph will be completely stable.

post-3211-0-64436600-1442608836_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-00076500-1442608847_thumb.jpg