Yellow Dubia Breeding Program

JohnFrost

A close up of a particularly light male, and a group photo :)

post-3211-0-06311600-1442609254_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-49524200-1442609266_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A friend loaned me a regular Dubia to show contrast. This is the first Female for F9. Almost done.

post-3211-0-76263500-1451952902_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-62498300-1451952910_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-62545400-1451952915_thumb.jpg

Underside and coloration pictures.

post-3211-0-18098200-1451953023_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-11878600-1451953029_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-43518400-1451953033_thumb.jpg

This Generation is just getting started (I have almost 700 F9 nymphs and 48 F8 breeders still in production for another 6 months), but yes, I do have one completely light male to keep this female company. I'm aiming for the 100 best females and 30 best males to be the upcoming F9 breeders. I currently have 1 of each, but that is enough to get things started for F10. I will only be using light males for F9 breeders now that the females are more or less the color that I am looking for. It is my hope that F10 will be functionally complete as far as color stabilization and I can begin working on my next Dubia breeding project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

166 females and 34 males transitioned into a new breeding colony. The current set up should house about 1000 breeders comfortably (at the same population density as my previous colony). On a side note, heating pads under plastic tubs can cause the plastic to become brittle and the bottoms can catastrophically fail when you move them.

post-3211-0-15833100-1470420738_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I love it! :) Im trying something similar in my colony. Do you have pics of your nymphs? I have extreamly gold nymphs but im not sure if that color transitions to adult hood although i suspect it does. Also i have nymphs that come out a lavender color that i want to isolate but it maybe harder.

I have never seen lavender nymphs. Would you be able to post a pic?

Im not sure if i have any at the moment i traded off almost all colony for some scorpions. I will try to take a look in the next few days. Im prepareing for a huge downsizeing of my collection.

Also i should say its not super intense. It seemed like a combo of faint red with blueish grey that kinda played a trick on the eye makeing it seem to be the faintest of lavender. Kinda goastly.

Hopefully you still have a few. I posted a pic of some of my nymphs on page 3 with a brief comment on my experience with light/orange nymphs. That may answer your question.

Ahh the nymph on the skull is almost exactly what i meant by lavender just slightly more red but just as light. That lets me know im on the right track. I went threw my gold project and didnt find the one i was thinking of. Hope its still in my main colony. I am a lil bummed ive been pulling out the gold nymphs to isolate its a shame there isnt a corrilation to adult color but good to know now. :)

166 females and 34 males transitioned into a new breeding colony. The current set up should house about 1000 breeders comfortably (at the same population density as my previous colony). On a side note, heating pads under plastic tubs can cause the plastic to become brittle and the bottoms can catastrophically fail when you move them.

Amazing man, looks like you got those light males you wanted! :) Hope this next generation does well for you!

Yikes, I'm guessing that bit about the tub bottoms becoming brittle when heat mats are used comes from personal experience?

Yessir. That's why they were moved before the next generation. Fortunately the kids were down for a nap and I had a solid 2 hours to clean up the mess. It gave me a reason to pull all the adults, check the counts, and upgrade the enclosures. Ultimately a momentary pucker moment ended positively.

Ahh the nymph on the skull is almost exactly what i meant by lavender just slightly more red but just as light. That lets me know im on the right track. I went threw my gold project and didnt find the one i was thinking of. Hope its still in my main colony. I am a lil bummed ive been pulling out the gold nymphs to isolate its a shame there isnt a corrilation to adult color but good to know now. :)

That isn't a nymph on the skull, that's an adult, but I understand what color you're referring to now.

• 8 months later...

Sorry I haven't been responding to all of your emails. The breeding project is on track and doing well, it's just slow work at times. I'm going to be making a dedicated room to allow for colony expansion and will continue to answer the questions you send. Thank you all for the support!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...