Roaches not eating

fernalfer

Ok i got 31 adult females and 10 adult males 50 large and 220 nyumphs to start my colony. Now i have food out Cucumbers, roach food purchased from doodlebugs website, orange slices, some collard greens and carrots. Also have the water crystals in there. Now they seem to only touch the oranges and that is it. I never see a swarm of roaches eating only 1 maybe 2 at a time. Should i be worried.

Theyu are in a Rubbermaid tote with a human heating pad underneath. I used a digital thermometer and the temp at bottom is aropund 98 and when you go up an inch it is about 87 then another 1-2 inched around 80. Surface temp is 75. They seem to be all towards the bottom where it is hotter. Not sure if i am doing something wrong or maybe i should do something different in my setup?

Anyu help would be appreciated.

IME, roaches don't care for cukes or greens, and prefer oranges over crystals when both are offered.

What kind of roaches are they, and how often are you feeding them? You might be feeding them too often--I notice a big difference in food interest if I feed more often than 1x/week, so that's all I feed.

Are they dubias? If so I rarely see mine eat except for oranges or apples. Greens do get eaten but I only put a little in at a time and mine seem to prefer romaine lettuce so far. Their dry food disappears over the course of a few days, so I just figure that they're more skittish feeders. I never see the Blaberus giganteus or the (one) Lucihormetica verrucosa eat but see evidence that they are.

My orange head colony on the other hand... they rush out at me when I straighten up their food dishes to put the food in. By the time I've scooped the food from the bag and turned to pour it in, there's roaches out waiting for it. They moderately eat greens, but only if nothing tastier is offered.

I always have a few Pacroblatta spp. crawl out after fruit, carrots, and dry food offerings, too.

As long as they can all access the food, they're eating. :) As they breed and your numbers increase you'll see the food disappear a bit quicker, for now you'll just have to put a little less in at a time.

Ok thanks for all the replies. I was just worried my temperature was off because it is only around 95 at the bottom where heating pad is and just about 1 inch to an Inch and a half off the bottom it drops 10 degrees. Not sure if I should add top heat or not.

If you really want to see your dubias go crazy, put a slice of white bread with water dripped on it in the bin. Mine pour out of the egg crates like a horror movie and swarm the bread. the slice is gone except for maybe a bit of crust in about an hour.

If you really want to see your dubias go crazy, put a slice of white bread with water dripped on it in the bin. Mine pour out of the egg crates like a horror movie and swarm the bread. the slice is gone except for maybe a bit of crust in about an hour.

I know mine do and others have said the same thing!

Yeah, but white bread is like..nothing, nutritionally. Why bother?

I stick to watermelon rinds, squashes, and oranges mostly, along with leftover cereal and fishfood.

It gets small and weak roaches to eat giving them some nutrition so they don't starve and have the strength to compete with the colony for food. Alone its bad but mixed with other foods nothing wrong, it has starch which is sweet and most roaches like it as a treat, like giving your pet dog a bone.