What species of Hisser (wild)

• 2 weeks later...

None of the hisser genera are found in Africa. It may be an Aptera sp.

Sorry Orin but some hisser genera does not exist and the Aptera 'is hisser' too.

BTW: I spoke with Cameron and the cockroach was not determined yet.

Sorry Orin but some hisser genera does not exist and the Aptera 'is hisser' too.

BTW: I spoke with Cameron and the cockroach was not determined yet.

What does "some hisser genera does not exist" mean?

Aptera is not even in the same subfamily (the Oxyhaloinae) as the tribe Gromphadorhini. Lobster roaches are more closely related to hissers. Aptera is in the Epilamprinae and is certainly not a hisser.

Aptera is not even in the same subfamily (the Oxyhaloinae) as the tribe Gromphadorhini. Lobster roaches are more closely related to hissers. Aptera is in the Epilamprinae and is certainly not a hisser.

It was meant - hisser is who hissing- and the Aptera hissing too.

I really do not like the common names- I am sure when the Aptera fusca will be in captivity than one of its common names will be African Dwarf hisser or some similar...

Now that you mention it, last instar nymphs of both giant lobster roach and regular lobster roach are both shaped and patterned very similar to hissing cockroach nymphs, only difference being all look like female hissers due to no horns, and wing pads are larger to prepare for final winged molt.

Do lobster roaches hiss? I never held one in person.