Oxyhaloa deusta housing

Blattodea313

I don't have experience with this species, but vasaline generally works. If you have doubts, tigh the legs of a pair of ladies' tights together and cut the legs off, keeping the knot. Then stretch the crotch over the enclosure top and put the lid on. Use vasaline in a 2-inch thick line at the top, spread as smoothly as you can(old credit/iTunes cards do it well) so the tights are like a second barrier.

I was planning on making a display cage for them since they are day active and have pretty red heads, so I am not sure how well the tights will look being on top of the enclosure :) I think I will just go with the vaseline. A few nymphs getting out wont hurt.

Had them in a bucket with soldering iron holes around the top rim. Probably a 3-4in barrier of Vaseline just below that.

If there are still concerns I highly recommend a 1-2gal plastic jar with a screw top. Like the ones filled with junk food at Costco or empty ones at walmart by the mason jars. Make several (like a crap ton) small pin holes in the lid. Crystal clear PET plastic for good visibility and as secure as you can get. Cheap to only problem is its only good for smaller colonies.

These are my favorite roaches! They are SO dang cute! I had trouble with mine escaping over a thick layer of vaseline. Now I have a 2 inch THIN coating of vaseline around the top of a ten gallon aquarium and they aren't able to navigate over the thin coating. Just in case I also have a fabric cover under the metal aquarium lid. I also put foam tape all the way around the inside of the lid. So far, so good. When it gets cold I might have more issues but the fabric covering will still keep them from getting all the way out.

I held one once for a few seconds. It was cool til he realized "Oh crap this thing is alive" and he panicked and jumped off :) I just get a big kick out of their busy, busy days in the tank. . .

These are my favorite roaches! They are SO dang cute! I had trouble with mine escaping over a thick layer of vaseline. Now I have a 2 inch THIN coating of vaseline around the top of a ten gallon aquarium and they aren't able to navigate over the thin coating. Just in case I also have a fabric cover under the metal aquarium lid. I also put foam tape all the way around the inside of the lid. So far, so good. When it gets cold I might have more issues but the fabric covering will still keep them from getting all the way out.

I held one once for a few seconds. It was cool til he realized "Oh crap this thing is alive" and he panicked and jumped off :) I just get a big kick out of their busy, busy days in the tank. . .

Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

I keep my duesta in a large locking tupperware with a small vent in the top, and a vaseline barrier. They never try to climb over it I use aspen shavings as bedding and egg crate to live on. I started with 18 in july, now I have over 130. I keep my roach room 80° to 90°f during the day and 70° to 75°f at night. They breed better if they are crowded.

I keep my house around 65 degrees in the winter so all of my roaches slow WAY down!

Cold Vaseline isn't as slippery as hot Vaseline - so some of my Redheads have been able to crawl up it.

I have my Redheads in a regular 10 gallon tank. I put foam tape around the interior edge of the screen lid. I set a piece of cloth on top of the tank, and then the lid on top of the cloth. Overall that seems to work. If the Redheads get past the vaseline they can't get the rest of the way out. I still have to look for them playing on the cloth or sneaking around the rim of the tank - but it's rare that I find them up on top.

As for the cold temps - they're doing okay. Their numbers increased steadily over the summer but they'll probably slow down now that it's colder.