Dubia Food experiment???

dociledragons

I have been reading all the post of what to feed dubia roaches for a large breeding colony. From what I can tell the majority of us use agree on Oats, Grains, Fish flakes, and High grain dog/cat food with 12-13% protein.

The thing is I have use cheap dog/Cat food ground up in the past and didn't have a problem of them breeding. But, I do remember having adult Dubias that died. However, that could be because of low humidity. I should mention I breed them several years ago and decided to start up again.

Has anybody did an experiment by putting 10-20 adults in a separate container with only low quality dog food while having another container consisting of the same number of adult but, feeding them High quality grain and such?

Good quality food is recommended when you're using them as feeders. Whatever goes into your roaches then goes into whatever animal your feeding it to, so you ideally want it to be the best possible ingredients you can get. Roaches can live and breed on nearly anything, but with low quality food that usually means the roach is not nutritionally high enough to sustain something like a bearded dragon.

I use Scratch and Peck 21% protein organic soybean and corn free starter chick mash and my breeders love it. I toss it down in the corner of the bin and they chow it and use it as a substrate that the babies will burrow into and sleep in. I also feed them stuff like romaine lettuce, apples, oranges, bananas, white bread(which they love), carrots, collard greens and stuff like that. When I first got the roaches, they seemed kind of sluggish and thin. Since I've been feeding them the stuff I do, they are fat and VERY active. Breeding all over, running all over and alert.

• 2 months later...

I use Scratch and Peck 21% protein organic soybean and corn free starter chick mash and my breeders love it. I toss it down in the corner of the bin and they chow it and use it as a substrate that the babies will burrow into and sleep in. I also feed them stuff like romaine lettuce, apples, oranges, bananas, white bread(which they love), carrots, collard greens and stuff like that. When I first got the roaches, they seemed kind of sluggish and thin. Since I've been feeding them the stuff I do, they are fat and VERY active. Breeding all over, running all over and alert.

Good to hear? What kind are they?